Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Touring helmet

I am sure there are a hundred threads on helmets but I was curious what you guys use for a touring helmet. What helmet do you use when and if you use your com. port on the ultras. I am in a state that does not require a helmet but I am looking for with a full face helmet or a 3/4 helmet to help me better in the rain and on longer rides (out of state) I have looked at the Nolan 3/4 helmet with the removable chin guard but I am not sold on them as they look to euro. Any suggestions?

Here is the Nolan I have been pondering....

Attached Thumbnails Touring helmet-n43trilogyncom1.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found Seer to be unbeatable. Certainly not the cheapest, but their 3/4 is DOT and Snell certified, and extremely comfortable. Additionally they will custom paint to your specs, with any H-D factory color. Since their primary business is LE, they are experts at integrating speakers and microphones.

Of note when looking at DOT helmets is a considerable number of the DOT helmets (so certified by their manufacturers) end up failing when they are actually selected for testing.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Plus they're US owned and made (right in Evergreen Colorado as a matter of fact).

Harris
Denver, CO

Last edited by motorlessons; 04-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't wear a helmet all the time, but when I do, it's my 3/4 HJC IS-33. Has the pilot visor that can drop down, easy to remove clear face shield, it's comfortable as helmets go, and it gets great reviews. The new "euro" designs just shows you're up with the new technology and times

I'm just north of you. If you want to see it in person if you can't find one locally, we can always meet up and you can take a look at it if you have interest in one after researching it. I spent months researching, and it's the one my wife and I both went with.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a bit old fashioned but I prefer a 3/4 helmet & a flat shield because the flat shield stores easily but provides good rain protection. A friend has the HJC that Mastery recommends & I've looked at them. It's a nice helmet, but the face shield takes up a lot of room if you don't keep it on the helmet.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered modular helmets? The Shark Evoline 2 ST is a pretty nice helmet, worth looking at for sure...

http://www.sharkhelmetstore.com/shar...t-helmets.html

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a DOT approved 1/2 helmet, I find it's great behind the fairing and windshield. I don't ride in the rain (I know I know) , that's what my silverado is for!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Semper Fi Brother!

I wear a half shell from Harley that has the built in sun shade. Love it, I have a half shell when I want, and a shield when I want, very light weight, sleek and took custom pin striping like a champ without any problems.

Cant recommend it enough,.

Stay Safe

Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
Have you considered modular helmets? The Shark Evoline 2 ST is a pretty nice helmet, worth looking at for sure...

http://www.sharkhelmetstore.com/shar...t-helmets.html
I tried the nolan and it just didn't fit me right, got a medium then a small, one too big, one way to small, so I bit the bullet and went for the shark, I had to sand a little foam out of the forehead to fit perfect. The helmet is a little heavy, but I don't notice it anymore, I used it all of last year 14k miles and its a great helmet, in the heat of the summer I pull the clear shield off and use it as a 3/4, and at night I just pop that back on, otherwise it all stays together with the chinbar pushed back. With the nolan you don't have the luxury of pulling the chinbar into place if a sudden rainstorm comes, or as I do, when passing a bad set of exits on my way to and from work.

a big thumbs up

Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a Nolan N-102, Great Helmet. Flip up makes it easy on/off with glasses

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoei MultiTech Modular - great noise control, has pockets for speakers, comparatively light, good visor setup.

Quick Reply: Touring helmet