Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Fatbob Pharaoh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im using this specific Nolan model. Its the N43 air. Fantastic quality. The N-Com system is compatible with all bluetooth hardware. The ability to switch between 3/4 with visor, 3/4 without visor or 3/4 with chin guard makes it perfect for touring when wheather changes warrant a different helmet to stay cool/warm. Only problem i ever faced was when riding through a sandstorm with 80kph sidewind. The chinguard doesnt really protect you from all that sand slipping through. Anyhow, no one would want to ride in such weather conditions.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM
jlh2011
Novice

Super seer......

Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM
RK Ivan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a full face Shoei R-1000 I love it. Seen to mauch facial injury over years working wrecks...thatz why I wear the full face.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use the HJC IS-33. Very comfortable and I really like the sun visor that slides up inside.

I do have a Nolan modular but haven't used it in a couple of years since I got the HJC. It takes up more room in the tourpack when we stop and lock it up.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best helmet is one that fits you right. I have a long oval shaped head, and many helmets just don't fit. So I always have to try it on, which is hard because not many places have a great selection of helmets. Most of the online stores will let you exchange it if it doesn't fit, I just hate the hassle.

Also, no matter what type of helmet you get, you will appreciate a face shield on a long tour. Not only will it make riding in the rain much more comfortable, it will also protect your face from sunburn when you're riding into the setting sun. No, it doesn't have to be tinted, a clear shield works just fine. I like the flip up kind so I can decide when I want to use it. A removable liner is also a must have feature, it's not fun having a stinky helmet.

I always plug into the com port, the music is so much better that way. I'm looking at getting one of these for my next helmet. http://www.jmcorp.com/AraiXC-RamHelmets.asp
I like the open face, with the added chin protection. I just wish it had the built in sun shade as well. I'm currently using the J&M headset, and it's way better than the HD one.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
RGB11
Cruiser

I currently use a Scorpion EXO100, ridden from NJ to MD, PA & upstate NY... I am about to purchase a Scorpion Transformer as I want to make a run to the Keys this season and the full face on the open road makes sense to me

Attached Thumbnails Touring helmet-scorpion-exo-900-transformer-helmet-374x450.jpg   Touring helmet-6exo_100_black.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3468
I am sure there are a hundred threads on helmets but I was curious what you guys use for a touring helmet. What helmet do you use when and if you use your com. port on the ultras. I am in a state that does not require a helmet but I am looking for with a full face helmet or a 3/4 helmet to help me better in the rain and on longer rides (out of state) I have looked at the Nolan 3/4 helmet with the removable chin guard but I am not sold on them as they look to euro. Any suggestions?

Here is the Nolan I have been pondering....
You've gotten plenty of advice and many recommendations... but, helmets are like boots. You just have to try them on. What one person says is the absolute best, another will say it's the worst. One size does not fit all.
I have Shoei and HJC lids.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I wear mostly half helmets due to the heat in the Phoenix area, but I have an HJC IS-MAX BT that I mounted my com headset on for touring. It's a modular helmet and is very comfortable. Besides the outer shield (mine is tinted) it also has a pull-down hidden internal tinted shield.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a scorpion exo 900 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.scorpionusa.com/media/videos/exo-900.html
I really like it. It can either be a full face modular helmet or you can convert it to just a 3/4. It even has a spot on the side of the helmet for com. I do not have Com on my bike so I cannot comment on it but I know that IMC makes something specific for the exo 900.
http://imcmoto.com/scorpion-ex0-900-...d-headset.html

Phil

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
oldskoolbagger
Intermediate

DOT half helmet...carry a 3/4 with a shield in the tour pack when travelling in case of rain....I really like the sound of the exhaust etc., and I think you just can't experience the ride fully in a full or 3/4 helmet ....

Quick Reply: Touring helmet