Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Long distance or short distance it's all the same...

half-helmet

Last edited by Mike; 04-13-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I normally wear a hat or a skid lid for my riding, but for long touring, I just purchased a black Fulmer modular helmet and attached my comm set to it. For long trips, I appreciate the capabilities of a full face helmet, but I will not own one that's not a flip-up face.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two half helmets already but I was looking for something that I could put my speakers and mic into. I like the sharks but I have a head like a bastard cat and the biggest they go is a 2X and it was "really" tight. The Nolan and the HJC 3/4 ones seem to be a bigger 2X and they fit good. I have heard the 3/4 helmets have alot of wind noise making it hard to hear the speakers.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
I don't wear a helmet all the time, but when I do, it's my 3/4 HJC IS-33. Has the pilot visor that can drop down, easy to remove clear face shield, it's comfortable as helmets go, and it gets great reviews. The new "euro" designs just shows you're up with the new technology and times

I'm just north of you. If you want to see it in person if you can't find one locally, we can always meet up and you can take a look at it if you have interest in one after researching it. I spent months researching, and it's the one my wife and I both went with.

Were you the one that went with Ozone on the 9-11 ride??

Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I wear a Shoei RF1000 full face on road trips. Around town I use a Skid Lid half helmet or an HJC open face.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3468
I have two half helmets already but I was looking for something that I could put my speakers and mic into. I like the sharks but I have a head like a bastard cat and the biggest they go is a 2X and it was "really" tight. The Nolan and the HJC 3/4 ones seem to be a bigger 2X and they fit good. I have heard the 3/4 helmets have alot of wind noise making it hard to hear the speakers.
I have the Harley labeled HJC IS33, it is pretty quiet inside compared to some other 3/4 helmets I've had... and the retractable sunshield is sweet

Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wear the Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4. It's been a great helmet for me. I've lived and ridden in 5 different states and all require helmets, thank God. I recently bought a like-new Shoei RJ1000 full face helmet on eBay for $80 or $90 and I'm sure glad I didn't shell out for a new one because I dislike it intensely compared to the 3/4. It changed the entire riding experience for me. It seems to amplify and distort sound and isolates you from the air and feel of the bike...it's smothering.....so much so that I doubt I will ever use it again unless it's so friggin cold I have to wear it....actually I'll just tie a bandanna around my mouth and stick with the 3/4 helmet. I haven't tried other full face helmets. Maybe others are different for the better but I don't see how they could be substantially different than the Shoei full face.

VR

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Shoei full face Qwest, it's the latest that Shoei has put out and it's nice. I wanted to get a modular helmet but they are all too heavy. I'm looking for a half lid for the hot weather. Only hassle I have is putting on my glasses, that's why I WAS looking for a modular.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Another HJC IS33 satisfied customer.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Like a lot of people, we tried a couple inexpensive brands. I broke down and we went with the Arai 3/4 with speakers from J&M. A very comfortable helmet. A bit pricey but after two other helmets that I went cheap on, I guess it equals out.

Not too heavy. I do wear my ear plugs with the helmet because it does echo in the ear holes.
Anyway, we are happy. Just try on as many as you can and make sure it fits. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Touring helmet