Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy 1999 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:45 PM
icfan2221
|
Stage I
Default Should I buy 1999 Road King

So im new to the Harley world and Im looking to get my first bike. Just looked at a 1999 Road King that has 62,000 miles on it. It had Big Bore kit done 20k ago it has thunderheader pipes and a big sucker exhaust. The guy is a private seller and he bought it from harley a year ago. Its a nice bike, clean and runs well, no obvious problems. Just wondering if this is something good to get into or if the mileage is too high, or if its just not a good idea. I like the bike it fits me well and I like how it rides. He wants $6200 for the bike which is where my current budget is but I'm wondering if im better off waiting and saving for something newer and possible better. And if Ill be getting into a slew of problems in the future with a high mileage bike. Any help or opinions is great fully accepted. Thank You

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:50 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain

I would take the bike to a good mechanic have him check it out , the EVO is a good engine.

Old 04-13-2011 | 04:04 PM
Wibbo
Intermediate

Not an evo, '99 would be a twinkie.
Make sure the cam bearings have been upgraded, then ride the **** out of it.
Bought my '99 road king a year ago and had some initial fuel injection issues, after a remap no troubles.... so far

Old 04-13-2011 | 04:10 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

correct 99 = TC88; take it to a qualified mechanic and have it looked over twice. if it's in good to excellent shape you should get lots of miles out of it.
Originally Posted by Wibbo
Bought my '99 road king a year ago and had some initial fuel injection issues, after a remap no troubles.... so far

Last edited by lkr0; 04-13-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2011 | 04:14 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain

That's not high mileage. I'd buy it for $6200.

Old 04-13-2011 | 04:15 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

I'd take that deal. My friend bought a '97 King a couple of years ago with just shy of 100,000 miles on it. He rode the crap out of it until a lifter seized. He spent a little money rebuilding the engine and is back to riding the crap out of it for probably another 100,000+ miles.

$6200 for a King in good shape? Heck yeah, I'd do that.

Old 04-13-2011 | 04:31 PM
sparepartsracing
Banned

Originally Posted by Wibbo
Yup you beet me too it a twinkie alright. You have to careful with those 99's first year of them my brothers 99 FXDLR spent more time back at the steelership in the first couple of years. he bought the bike brand new within 2 years the motor went south and the moco didn't want to honor the warrantee that he bought so it sat there for about 6 months while they figured out what to do mean while my brother still had to make his payments? Finally I think they agreed to replace the engine if my brother would pay for the cost of having the new motor shipped from the factory to the dealership with much dispair he agreed only to get his bike back. when he called the moco they didn't care. getting back to the twinkie it is my feelings that the moco bull ****** us about technology with the two cams but the drove them with a ****in chain lets talk about *** backwards and why not put the cams up in the rocker were they belong? Dont bullshit me about technology?
The 99 A motor was a piece of ****? Just my .02

Old 04-13-2011 | 05:38 PM
clap
Road Master

Have it checked, 99's had a problem with cam bearings. But they might have replaced them if they did a motor job. I don't think 62K is high mileage for a 99 , that is only about 5100 miles / year. And the Price sounds good.

Old 04-13-2011 | 05:53 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

If that bike has been serviced regularly and has the cam tensioners updated from original, you'll be fine. That's a great deal actually. Have a qualified mechanic check it out and jump on it if it passes muster.

Old 04-13-2011 | 06:04 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior

I agree about the cam bearings (and the tensioners). Also, it's better if it's a carb; much more user-friendly than the MM injection. I'd try to get the price a little closer to $6000, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Should I buy 1999 Road King