Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal/Horn Interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011 | 02:42 PM
BigDogHawg
|
Intermediate
Default Turn Signal/Horn Interface

I must say that I'm not a big fan of the way the turn signals operate on my 2010 FLHR. Some of the time, the right indicator does not auto shutoff after completing the turn. I live in Europe, so the right turn signal button is a PITA to use for coming out of the roundabout. I would rather have a button on the left clutch side that invokes the turn signals so that my throttle hand could do just that - operate the throttle. I don't really like the horn button position either. Sometimes when I get surprised by an idiot in a four wheeler, I hit the left turn signal instead of the horn. I don't feel too well after that happens. I just think the HD needs to rethink the design. What say you?

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:23 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

If it does'nt shut off, you have a problem with the module. I've never really had a problem confusing the horn/turn signal, so I can't give any suggestions there

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:29 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

I was the same way with the horn after riding metric bikes all my life. Got used to it after a little while.

Right turn signal not an issue for me either. Cancels as it should.

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogHawg
What say you?

i say you need to ride your bike and get used to it. hitting the turn signal button with your right hand and operating the throttle at the same time is not that difficult.

but yeah, if your signal is not canceling, it is not a design flaw with hd, but a flaw on your bike. either that or you aren't leaning enough when you go into a turn.

as far as the horn goes, where do you think would be an easier spot to hit? a button on the dash? so you have to take your hand off the handlebar to hit it? yeah, thats soooo much better. how's this for an idea, while riding down the road, practice hitting the button with your left thumb. enough practice and you will develop enough muscle memory to actually hit it when you need to.

and for the record, i have also given someone the 'angry left turn signal' instead of the horn myself.

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:59 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I say this isn't a metric bike. Get used to it.

Old 04-13-2011 | 04:08 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by bronxbill
If it does'nt shut off, you have a problem with the module. I've never really had a problem confusing the horn/turn signal, so I can't give any suggestions there
I have to agree on the problem with the module, they can sometimes be defective, I also have a metric bike beside my HD, my suggetion would be if the bike is under warranty, have the module replaced, otherwise buy a new one. As for the switch confusion, you have to get used to it, cars and bikes all have differences, n ot everything is in the same place.

Old 04-14-2011 | 12:19 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

I have turn signal extensions on my last 3 bikes, mostly because I am thumb challenged, but I think it may also help with not getting the horn and signal mixed up.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id172.html