Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts
Default changing oil on the road

When you service your own scoot and you happen to be on a long trip and it is time for an oil change, where do you do the oil change? Right on the side of the road or in a lot somewhere? Where do you drain and dispose the oil?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: changing oil on the road

Pm BillNourse. He is the expert on this one.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

use a good plastic bag doubled. tie it off and take to a auto store. They all recycle.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Yeah, I was hoping he would reply because I've seen his posts before about changing on the road, but he never touched on what he does with the oil.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One time on the road I just pulled in to a auto parts store bought a $3.00 drain pan , and dumped the used oil in the there recycle bucket. I made sure all my other service was done before I left , so all I had to do was drop the oil , and change the filter , 10 minute job.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change your oil on the shoulder of the road....no drain pan required and really helps to keep the dust down.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost any auto parts store, autozone, advanced, o'rileys and so on will take your used oil free of charge. I take mine to them all the time. If for some reason, I wanted to do that Id do it in their back parking area. But if you run amsoil or mobile1 you would have to really be on the road a long time harleys sheduled change is at 5k and thats with dyno oil, the true syn oils are good for much longer before needing a change if you serviced before you left.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

If I'm on the road, and need an oil change because I've already put 2500-3000 miles on the fresh oil I put in before the trip, and I'm gonna be looking at a whole lot more...I usually just head to a dealership and get it done. Most service departments can get you in and out in a minimum of time. And I've seen several that run 'specials' on oil changes. If I can't get it done at a dealership, I'm into the yellow pages looking for an independent shop that can get me in and out.

I've done the round trip to Florida with another 800 miles of riding when I'm there. It only puts a little over 3200 miles on the oil. I've also road to Sturgis and back, which is about the same distance without changing the oil. I've found over the years that my bike doesn't come to a shuttering halt if I extend the fluid change periods....It has many other ways to die on me.

If I was gonna be living on the road for a couple weeks...I'd just plan ahead for it.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:24 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been on a trip that far to were I'd have to worry about changing the oil on the road. But if I did I'd make sure I changed it befor my trip. Plus I use Amsoil so I can't really see my self having to worry about changing my oil on the road.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed mine on our ride to Billings this summer @ a NAPA. I went in, bought some Mobil1 (brought a filter w/me), asked about a drain pan, and they actually offered to let me use their stuff in back.... used their pan, rags, and dumped it in their drum when I was done....

Quick Reply: changing oil on the road