Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV w/auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV w/auto tune

I've just recently installed the auto tune modules to my set-up.. The map that Jamie sent me ran great.. However, rode the machine with the auto tune on on Sunday and it seemed smoother.. Checked the trims when we got home and there were some large numbers in the trim cells.. I called Jamie and he told me to accept trims, send map and run again to see what it would generate in the cells in auto tune. Haven t ridden it again yet.. My questions are ,when set with the respective fuel ratios being the same as when Jamie sent me the original map..is my tune getting better regarding performance, for my particular build and limitations? The reason I purchased the auto-tune modules is the flexibility it will provide as my motor modifications progress.. I want the motor to perform at its peak, with respect to the components currently installed. Thanks Guys, Scooter

Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

You probably should have quizzed Jamie a little more on this. Basically what the auto tune does is makes adjustments to your fuel delivery to make your bike use the map you downloaded efficiently for the build you have. Anyway that's how I understand it. The map you installed wasn't done on a dyno for your bike, so it isn't exactly what your bike needs. The auto-tune make adjustments to the fuel delivery to make it what your bike needs. I'm going through the same thing with a T-Max. I'm getting there, the map I started with wasn't even close for my build, I imagine that the map Jamie gave you was much closer to your build than the map I started with was to mine. If Jamie said to accepted the trims then by all means do it. When you do other mods to your engine you may have to start with a different map (depending on how much you change) and then let the auto-tune do it's work.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Auto Tune is making changes constantly. As you ride the tuner is attempting to reach the set A/F ratio by adjusting the V/E tables. The more you ride the closer the AFR gets to its set goal. I too was getting huge numbers on trims. After tweaking the timing at cruise range and found where my motor was running it's best I lowered the percentage of change to 5%, I believe the default is 20%? I have close to 2000 miles on my FM 107 and it runs absolutely flawless. Plugs are clean and the motor runs cool.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experienced the same thing with autotune recently. Ran Jamies Stage 1 and canned map for more than a year and a few weeks ago installed the Fuel Moto 107 kit along with another canned map and autotune. Had numerous cells with -20's in them, mostly in the lower (less than 3000) RPM range. Just attributed it to reversion. I realize that all engines are different, even those that are built to "identical" specs. Still, it was a bit of a shock to see such a large discrepancy. It's good to know I wasn't the only one experiencing this. I'm just going to take a leap of faith in what the autotune is telling me and accept the trims, but also keep an eye on things until I feel 100% comfortable with it.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I use a FM map and never accept the trim values

on the AT. I just allow it to continually make it's real time adjustments. I've checked the trims and they never seem to over 12 or so and most below 8.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Most guys will accept a few rounds of trims. If you do that, you should see the trims all getting down to low single digits. Once that happens, you can adjust the max enrichment/enleanment down to 5 or so. That will still allow the autotune to make small adjustments, but your bike won't go way out of tune if one of the sensors fail.