Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There it is again ......

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default There it is again ......

I'm on my 2nd Harley so I am used to noisy shifting, but I've got an extra clunk that has me a little concerned. First off - '09 Ultra Classic with 9,600 miles, Stage 1, Fuel-Moto slip-ons. I'm used to the shifter clunk, and I actually have learned to depend on the 1st clunk to assure myself that I've actually shifted into another gear, but the 2nd clunk? Not so reassuring. I've discussed this second "clunk" with the dealership - it's normal, don't worry about it - but it doesn't seem right that something should be clunking when you let out the clutch lever after shifting into any gear. I get the loud clunk and the lurch when shifting into 1st after start-up, and it's also very difficult to find neutral - cold, hot or otherwise. I've had all the fluids changed, had the clutch adjusted, no improvement. I understand that Harley transmissions and primarys make noise, it's all part of the "Harley" mistique, but I have to wonder if this is more than just "normal" clunking. I've read the threads on SE compensators but nobody mentions the double-clunking when describing the symptoms of a compensator problem. I don't get the loud "bang" on start-up and I don't get a loud bang when shutting down. Anybody got any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Primary fluid level too high could cause problems with trying to find neutral, I would think they would've checked that when they adjusted your clutch

Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How long have you had the bike? Has it always done that? Is it still under warranty?

Cecil

Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by smithbrl
How long have you had the bike? Has it always done that? Is it still under warranty?

Cecil
I've owned it since April 2010, purchased it with the remainder of factory warranty, but no extended warranty, so I am quickly running out of warranty time. I don't know if it has "always" clunked because I just recently took a ride with no helmet (I know, not smart) but never noticed the 2nd clunk while riding with my helmet on. I suppose I could fix it by always riding with a helmet, but I'd rather fix it once and for all.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I don't give it a little gas as I let the clutch out, I get a "bump", like tapping the brake as the rear wheel forces the engine to speed up. Maybe there's slack in your primary chain and it clunks a little when this happens. Shifting at 2500 rpms and easing the clutch out has solved my jerky shifting.

How many miles are on the bike? I had trouble finding neutral for a while. No problem now.
Check the primary fluid level like bmaier said as I've heard that too much primary fluid can cause it to be hard to find neutral. Possibly other problems as well.

Cecil

Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Check the primary fluid level like bmaier said as I've heard that too much primary fluid can cause it to be hard to find neutral. Possibly other problems as well.

Cecil
I guess at $8 a quart, I'll start with checking the primary fluid level. That's a lot cheaper (and easier) than installing an SE compensator. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I can't say what it is BUT make sure you have some type of work order where you complained to HD about this. Just in case there is a problem later on. Just my 2 cents Good luck

Old 04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to try and get the extended warranty. Can't hurt.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Try this trick that has been around for many decades. Start your bike in neutral while holding the clutch in. Continue to hold the clutch in for about a minute or so. Then shift and ease out the clutch. I can get up to 5 totally silent smooth shifts this way.

While the bike is setting the clutch springs press the oil from between the plates. The attendant clutch drag is what causes the "clunk". Which by the way is not harmful and many like their "clunks".

This is of course assuming that you have checked the the clutch adjustment is set to specs.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Default Ahhh...that's better!

Drained the primary and put in 38 oz. Formula+. Looked like my Indy may have been a little generous with the Amsoil last time in. Didn't look that much overfilled but maybe that was the problem. Much smoother shifting and waaaaay easier to find neutral. Still getting a slight knock when engaging the clutch so I'll keep after it, but in the meantime thanks for the "you might want to change the fluids every so often" reminder.