Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding exhaust without other mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 AM
crp5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding exhaust without other mods?

Want to get more sound out of my 07 ultra, but don't want to wake the neighbors up at 5:30am. Thinking about a set of Screamin Eagle Performance Touring slip ons (HD 80490-07). Would I have to make any other modifications to the bike to run these?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Darryl88
Road Captain
Default RE: Adding exhaust without other mods?

you will need the harley download, and k and n air cleaner basicly a stage 1 kit.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Motor Squad
Cruiser

Did the same thing to my '07 RK and dealer service department said don't worry about anything else. The parts guy tried selling the "whole package". No problems as of yet and very happy.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will be ok with no other mods. When you decide to get the air cleaner then you would need some kind of fuel management system, like pc3 or SERT.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 AM
HawgDoc
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

crp5,
you don't need anything else with the H-D slip-ons. The slight change in flow is compensated fuel-wise by the addition of O2 sensors this year.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

i added python slip on's to my 06- no other mods- and i have zero problems/issues.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:55 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

As the others have said, the exhaust swap alone typically won't affect other components enough to require any changes like a PCIII/Sert or factory download. Now the moment you swap something else out, such as the air cleaner, cams, or anything else, you better have at least one of the three listed above!

Darryl is right though, to really get the most out of your pipes (any pipes for that matter), and Stage 1 or equivalent is what you need to have done.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Just put the Pipes on and Ride, i did it on my 07 RG and it's fine.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Crankster
Cruiser

I am planning on adding V & H slipons when/if they arrive. My goal is strictly sound improvement. I am assuming that the answer is the same as SE and Python etc, with no issues. Service MGR said it might pop on decel, or surge. Can you folks please confirm your opinions/experience?

The same service Mgr (who has not blown smoke at me yet) tells me if he hooks the bike to the diagnostic system, MOCO will be know if there is a PCIII and may give me crap about the warranty. (he also said if there were issues and I went the stage I route, he would let me take it off before he put the computer on it.) Their advice is to wait until warranty is over, then mod the he!! out of it. Any thoughts/opinions?

P. S. Picked up my (the bank's) 07 Road King on Oct 5th, first HD beyond rentals. Bought it after riding a Demo SG (to hear the whine) and hearing stock 06 and 07 started right next to each other. The 96 gave me a viscerally reaction, had to have it problems be damned. Was an Aug 06 build but I think I got a Tuesday bike. I have no regrets, very happy w/it with the limited miles I have been able to accumulate. Except it sounds like a Honda-Davidson. I have a slight whine in 5th from the gear (which I think will reduce over time), but engine and overall noise is no louder than the Victory Vegas, I sold.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:15 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Crankster what you said is pretty much true thats why I went just with the Slipons, one of my friends is a Harley Mechanic and thats what he told me also about the MOCO. He said i could get the Sert Download that will make the Bike perform better, but he said the Bike will Run fine with just the Slipons and nothing else. But the Warranty thing is a real Issue he told me, they have already had to tell a few Customers that installed the PCIII that there Warrenty will be Voided if something Happens to the Bike and the MOCO decides to request a Diagnostic Download

Quick Reply: Adding exhaust without other mods?