Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you really know what gear your in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman
Yeah, sometimes I clutch and try to find that 6th gear.... AND its a 5 gear bike.........

Ah, yes..... senior moments are great!!!..................hdman
Heck, I clutch and look for seventh gear sometimes, only to look down and see the green six light is already on!!!! Thank you cams and tuner!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:53 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't really need to know. keep the motor between 2 and 3 thousand rpm unless accelerating. I coast into a stop. and downshift all the way once I'm stopped. So knowing the number reallly doesn't matter.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I forget all the time. I would regularly try to shift into "6th gear" on my older 5 gear Road King.

Also, I downshift when I'm coming to a stop. I run through each of the gears and use the motor to help slow the bike down. I kinda figured most people did that, but now I'm wondering?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts

Just my though and opinion. Need to keep up with it. Could get you in trouble. I sometimes get off one too low for what I do but as much as I drive and always match the rpm to the gear I seldom fill a braking effect on a gear change which is what you get for getting too low to accelerate. I use what gear I am in to decelerate to a stop like a red light. I only usual drop down through the gears when I just need lower gears for the speed of traffic. Brakes are cheaper then clutches for me. I usually try to run above 1700 rpm. I can fill the cylinders fire much below that. Its level were I live.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-11-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
Don't really need to know. keep the motor between 2 and 3 thousand rpm unless accelerating. I coast into a stop. and downshift all the way once I'm stopped. So knowing the number reallly doesn't matter.
To each, his own, but I don't want to be at 4 mph for a stoplight in 5th gear & hear the cage driver behind me lock up his brakes too late. In first or second I stand a chance of gettin' out of his way.........

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
HarleyNation
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost never know what gear I'm in (unless im stopped or ridin over 60)...the sound of the engine all I need

Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I forget all the time. I would regularly try to shift into "6th gear" on my older 5 gear Road King.

Also, I downshift when I'm coming to a stop. I run through each of the gears and use the motor to help slow the bike down. I kinda figured most people did that, but now I'm wondering?

Don't wonder. You're doin it right. Like a post above....always gotta be prepared to move quickly.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Yeah, try comparing your tach to your speedo, once you get used to your bike it'll tell you what gear you're in if you forget.........
drive by the tach all of the time rpm vs speed = what gear you are in

Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,735 Likes on 19,290 Posts

You'd think with all of the "Accessories" that are in the HUGE HD catalog that one of those highly educated college degree engineers from the MoCo might have thought out a way to sell us a "Gear Indicator Heads Up Display" ( sorry if you don't have a windsheild --- of course you could buy one of those too ) so we wouldn't have to think when we were riding .... I remember years ago a lot of the Jap Bikes had the "gear sequence" stamped into the engine case right next to the shifter ... that way all you had to do was lean way over ... maybe even stand on your head so you could see it ... then just before you plowed into whatever was ahead of you at least "knew" what gear you were in. Just my .02 cents worth.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know:
The name of this post reminds me of a great song by Chicago...I'm just say-in "dose anyone really know what gear I'm in"

Sorry it's my ADHD

Last edited by iwillfixthem4u; 04-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you really know what gear your in?