Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M ROKKER 7.25" Speakers..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
Thanks for the review...I think you just sold me on the speakers. A friend of mind has the J&M 7.25 with the amp and they sound awesome to me.

Rockford Fosgate has a new four channel amp coming out supposedly next month, model PBR300X4 Link

What happens when I add the 2-Ohm Rokker speakers with the 2-Ohm HK radio and this 4-Ohm amp. The amp is rated at 75 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm. I'm don't understand what the good or bad is when a 4-Ohm amp is used on a 2-Ohm system. I would purchase the Rokker amp but the price seems excessive to me. Thanks!
As stated earlier it is a bad idea to throw a 2ohm load at an amp that is rated for a 4ohm load. It will either shutdown right away through some kind of protection circuit, or the 2ohm load would cause it to overheat and go in to thermal shutdown constantly. Forget about that mess. Get the J&M 4 channel, it is the same tech as the Arc amps, which are good quality, powerful and sonically accurate amplifiers designed by Robert Zeff... Yeah it's expensive, but it'll be worth it...

Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

It would be nice to hear a review of the regular 7.25" and the rokkers. I do plan on getting the lower speakers and four channel amp later and wonder if the rokkers would he worth the upgrade since I'll be adding another set of speakers anyways.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
As stated earlier it is a bad idea to throw a 2ohm load at an amp that is rated for a 4ohm load. It will either shutdown right away through some kind of protection circuit, or the 2ohm load would cause it to overheat and go in to thermal shutdown constantly. Forget about that mess. Get the J&M 4 channel, it is the same tech as the Arc amps, which are good quality, powerful and sonically accurate amplifiers designed by Robert Zeff... Yeah it's expensive, but it'll be worth it...
I ordered the 2 channel Rokker amp and speakers today but apparently there is a big back order on the Rokker products.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
It would be nice to hear a review of the regular 7.25" and the rokkers. I do plan on getting the lower speakers and four channel amp later and wonder if the rokkers would he worth the upgrade since I'll be adding another set of speakers anyways.
I had the regular 7.25" speakers in my bike, I didn't like them that much so I switched back to the Hertz I had installed prior to the original 7.25"... John at J&M convinced me to give the Rokkers a try and I did, they are definitely better than the originals.. I don't know what either sound like without the amp as I have had the Arc mini in my ride for quite a while now.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
John Little
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious if anyone else has used baffles in their fairings. I see alot of guys switching out audio on the hunt for fidelity with decent bass response. I bought th
e hogtunes setup on the recommendation of my Indy. Needless to say I found it lacking. I pulled the fairing and lined it with Fosgate sound dampening mat, bought some cheap baffles ported them and made sure they were sealed everywhere but the port with duct tape. Its ugly as sin, but I couldn't be happier with the sound improvement vs. money spent. Great review though, should I ever tire of this setup it will be the ARC/ J&M setup.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
Thanks for the write up, I have been thinking about the amp and those speakers.

I checked out the amp you mention (CigarCritic) and although strange, they say it is only 4ohm stable. So you can not hook it up to 2ohm speakers, unless you hook it up to 8- 2ohm speakers so each channel sees 4 ohms. Short story is, 4ohm amp rated at 300 watts, sees a 2ohm load and tries to produce 600 watts and overheats and dies.
Originally Posted by sublime_ac
So why is everyone so excited about the new RF 4-Ohm amp? Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Because it is only $269. But for 2 ohm speakers not so much.

Drew

Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Ohms

I think the RF speakers are also 4 ohm so if ya use all RF stuff, I bet it would be fine. I am pretty sure the Hertz and Arc stuff is 4 Ohm, both amp and speakers that is. I think the RF stuff excitement is just anticipation from most of us who have had great luck with their stuff in the past.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For everyone's sake in the touring forum,..I hope the RF amp lives up to the hype !! Better yet,......I hope it EXCEEDS the hype !! Good luck guys !! Only 2 more weeks to wait...........

Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Tville Rider
Stage II

Sublime ac - Thanks for sharing your comments on the Rokker speakers. I was at the Laconia rally this week and spoke with a J&M and a Hertz rep. It was difficult to compare the two as they were located a couple of miles from each other and it was a number of hours in betwen listening. I'm not sure what the Hertz series speakers were but they were 6.5 inch. The Hertz rep spoke very badly of the J&M products but I was still leaning more towards the Rokkers. Whats your opinion on the Rokkers after having them for a while?

It looks like you are using the ARC amp. Do you have any experience or preferrance between the 2 amps? I read about the G & H classification and it looks like the efficiency and THD may be better with the class H ARC amp. Any comments are appreciated.

Quick Reply: J&M ROKKER 7.25" Speakers..