Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit by 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 AM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very fortunate that your wife wasn't on the bike with you. Hopefully insurance looks after the bike damage. You can't replace your sweetheart, or have her injured from careless people. Hope everything works out ok.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 AM
mediamike19063
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man,
I know this is late but glad to hear you're ok. I know that would have scared the hell outta me and if the gf was on the back I woulda flipped. But glad that is not the case. Hope all works out for ya

Mike

Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It could've been much worse! I was t-boned by a 26yr old girl, she was texting and didn't see me. The only thing that stopped her was my bike when it was upside down sliding on the windshield. Just got on her Mom's ins. and borrowed her car.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

I'll echo the most important sentiment, glad you're OK. The really f'd up thing is that had his hit been fatal, he probably would received a minor ticket at best. At least we're seeing more & more of the "Watch For Motorcycles" bumper stickers, billboards, and T.V. spots. I'd love to see a statistician compile substantiated stories such as these to demonstrate to law makers and non-riders just how many times people put US at risk by the asinine antics.
Fortunately you're here to be able to rant about it. Don't let the guy off easy.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I echo the sentiment that I'm glad you're OK.

In the 1980s, I prosecuted two cases back-to-back where the driver hit the motorcyclist stopped, one in the #1 lane & the other case was stopped in the left turn lane. In one collision (I refuse to call it "an accident," even to this day), the rider & passenger were killed & in the other, the solo rider.

In those days, the Harleys vibrated so badly at idle looking at the mirrors, you couldn't tell if a semi pulled up behind you. So, the bike you have is a far better & safer bike than we had in the 80s.

If this case goes to lawsuit, however, you'll be faced with an expert on their side who will say that the safe thing for a motorcyclist to do is (1) allow sufficient area in front of the bike so that one can pull up/around the vehicle ahead; and (2) leave the motorcycle in gear so that one can pull out of the way. The shyster attorney for the cager will then tell the jury the collision was your fault because you didn't keep a look-out & avoid the accident.

Is that right? No! But, that's where our legal system is today.

Just thought you'd like to be encouraged. I'm off to go ride a bit.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hit from behind a few years ago while waiting at a red light, 6k worth of damage. If the girl that hit me wasn't so dam hot, i might have been a lot more pissed than I was.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Glad you're OK. Didn't a vision test used to be part of the licensing process?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Len
Road Captain

thanks for your comments, one and alll - four days later; and, I'm still a little "shook up"; scoot is scheduled to be at the shop for a few days until the other guys insurance adjuster shows up; so, I'm stuck being a "cager" for a few days; and, still on the lookout for people driving too fast and too close.
And, thanks, all, for your concerns. . yes, I am lucky; fortunate it was minor; quite the wake up call. I'm usually much more vigilant regarding watching my back; keeping the bike in gear at a stop; I have the flashing brake lights (though most people seemed to be intrigued and want to get CLOSER! to see what is going on!); but, as I said, for the grace of God, a little luck, and living right, got away with one this time. . and, hope it's the last time . .!
Thanks, again ALL!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad to hear that you're okay! Could have been a lot worse!

Steve

Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God was definitely with you! Glad you're okay and that your girl wasn't on the back...make sure he pays what he owes!

Quick Reply: Hit by 4x4