Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit by 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM
zjones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick14221
I have the bright *** lights and when I see someone approaching at an itersection I always squeeze the front back handle several times so they can see the flashing. Just to make sure...Added the headlight modulator to hopefully keep people from pulling out in front of me. People notice it...Glad you are ok
I'm gonna burn up my BAL squeezing the brake at red lights.....makes me feel better though.....

Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the modulator idea, might have to put that on. I've thought about a big air horn, but i don't usually even blow the one on the bike because it is better, in my opinion, to let them go on aimlessly and know where they are going than blast away on the horn and wake them up and not know what they are gonna do. I'd like to mount some 50 cals and then do some "defensive driving".
Ride safe

cass

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually you can make it a "lifted truck" thing. There are such things a bumper height restrictions/laws in most states! And most states if the bumper is over a certain height the driver is required to a have a CDL. There are a few states enacting this law because people are jacking up cars and trucks.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gogogadgetbiker
Glad your ok...

However..... Don't make it a lifted truck thing, it's a dumb driver thing. I have had lifted trucks all my life, the driver hit you not the truck.

People complaining about how much lift a truck can have ultimately leads to legislation preventing it.
Actually that is incorrect. it is not a stereotyping issue, Bumper height restrictions are in place because of federal DOT regulation. Bumpers over a certain height causes the bumper of the truck to impact a standard passenger car in a place that will not allow energy absorption. They did the same thing to trucks. look at the bar at the back of tractor trailers. it is down low so you bumper hits that instead of submarining under the back of the trailer and taking your head off! Get a grip!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am Glad to hear you are okay and i feel your pain. Some Jackwagon at work backed into my scoot on Tuesday with a truck with a tommy liftgate on the back of it. Thank goodness he didn't knock it over but banged up the fork cowbell the chrome under the headlight and got some paint on the fairing and looks like maybe bent the fairing brackets. Unfortunately my dealer doesnt take appointments for estimates they have one guy that it is all he does and there is a line so you have to drop it off and get in line. Hope to have back early this week so I can get paid to fix this.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you heard about the group of bikes that were stopped at a light and got plowed through by a dump truck?? heart still goes out to them and the families... glad to hear you are ok... being in a lifted truck has nothing to do with not seeing you... my truck in highschool had 40" tires on it and about a 8" lift, never once had a problem not seeing motorcycles.... oh wait thats because im always on the look out... its unfortunate that no one cares to take a 2nd look while in a cage.... i hope you can stick it to that guy so hell know for damn sure to next time be payin attention

down here in texas the headlights if i remember correctly have to be 60" of lower to be legal... if you want your truck higher than that regardless of the bumper all you gotta do is re-locate you head lights...

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 1 Lucky SOB

You are 1 lucky biker! We almost have to ride with eyes in the back of our heads to avoid these idiots. With all that can happen to us, this scenario scares me the worst. I NEVER stop at ANY intersection without paying as much attention to what is happening behind me as well as in front!

I was with my family in our car one afternoon, stopped at a red light (about 12th in line) when I looked into the rear view mirror and saw some SUV barreling down the road behind me. There was no way he was going to be able to stop in time. I pulled my car left across a double yellow into oncoming traffic just as he came skidding by me sliding into the right shoulder of the road. Had I not moved we would have been hit by a large SUV going about 50 MPH and would have been crushed in a chain accident involving all 12 cars, or more.

Some days we're lucky to have an angel riding on our shoulders! The main thing is you lived to tell the tale.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are okay and that is what counts. More people need to be defensive on their bikes by keeping it in gear while at a light, leaving an escape route and WATCHING THE MIRRORS!!!! None of this minding your own business crap. That is just asking for it. DEFENSE!!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
MikeRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Lexus bop my Silverado while I was stopped at a light several years ago. My truck is 4X4 but not lifted. I am running 35's so I'm up just a tad. Anyway, I felt and heard a little thud but just barely. Didn't hurt the 2" ball but it punched a nice round hole in the top of the broad's Asian fiberglass. Dizzy bit%h was still trying to figure out what just happened when I walked back to look. Can you believe she still had her reading material, (read R.E listings) in her mitts.

It's not about trucks,(4X4, lifted, stock, lumber or 18 wheeler with or without a federally mandated NHTSA "Mansfield" Bar on it's a$$ end.....It is about inattentive, preoccupied a$$wipes that do everything BUT drive when they get behind wheel. Mulititask? how 'bout haf-ast?
Don't be one of 'em!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikerider
had a lexus bop my silverado while i was stopped at a light several years ago. My truck is 4x4 but not lifted. I am running 35's so i'm up just a tad. Anyway, i felt and heard a little thud but just barely. Didn't hurt the 2" ball but it punched a nice round hole in the top of the broad's asian fiberglass. Dizzy bit%h was still trying to figure out what just happened when i walked back to look. Can you believe she still had her reading material, (read r.e listings) in her mitts.

It's not about trucks,(4x4, lifted, stock, lumber or 18 wheeler with or without a federally mandated nhtsa "mansfield" bar on it's a$$ end.....it is about inattentive, preoccupied a$$wipes that do everything but drive when they get behind wheel. Mulititask? How 'bout haf-ast?
don't be one of 'em!
tru dat!

Quick Reply: Hit by 4x4