Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you suck the oil out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:35 PM
jmorganroadglide
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default Can you suck the oil out?

Can one effectively suck all the oil out of a harley by inserting a tube down the dipstick opening? If you can suck out all the oil are there any down sides to not pulling the drain plug?

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine has a magnet on it. Not sure why the need to suck out the oil. The bike does not need to be raised to get to the plug. It's really no big deal that some old oil is left but quite a bit more would probably be left.

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:43 PM
RandyS
Tourer

buddy and I bought the scavenger oil system...not sure if i am allowed to put link but here it is http://roguechopper.com/
it is amazing how much gunk oil comes out and how long your new oil stays clean for....usually you change oil and after a ride your new oil has a tint to it....highly recommended....great quality device!

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:08 PM
texaswiz
Banned

I will second that about the oil scavenger system. I got out 28 ozs. of oil that would have stayed in the crankcase and contaminated the new oil. Like many say, when you pull the dipstick on your clean oil 5 days later. it still looks like new oil. It is amazing that school educated engineers are still designing a crankcase that holds in reserve nearly 25% (A- engine) of old, dirty oil that ultimately contaminates the new. But then Harley has been behind the learning curve for decades.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:09 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Just do it like your were siphoning gas. You'll really have to suck hard because the oil is thicker. but the good thing is if you get oil in your mouth it has to taste better than the cheap nasty gas we get these days. Use a clear hose & you can watch the oil. Don't waste your money on one of those siphoning guns. NO!!!!! Just do yourself a favor & pull the plug.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:20 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Good answer !

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:29 PM
OlGrampy
Advanced

I met a girl who said she could suck-start one, she could probably drain the oil too!

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:32 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Looks awesome

Just checked out the rogue chopper scavenger oil change system. Looks awesome. Think I am going to buy it for my new 2 me 2003 FLHTCUI. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by RandyS
buddy and I bought the scavenger oil system...not sure if i am allowed to put link but here it is http://roguechopper.com/
it is amazing how much gunk oil comes out and how long your new oil stays clean for....usually you change oil and after a ride your new oil has a tint to it....highly recommended....great quality device!

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:46 PM
jmorganroadglide
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I am sixty one years old, so the drain plug ain't that easy to get to. Also it ain't that easy to see. Also, if I fixed up a suction hose on the shop vac, I could suck the oil out at high temperatures. I just don't have the courage to suck out hot oil with my luscious lips. Afraid I couldn't time it just right.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:53 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I am sixty one years old, so the drain plug ain't that easy to get to. Also it ain't that easy to see. Also, if I fixed up a suction hose on the shop vac, I could suck the oil out at high temperatures. I just don't have the courage to suck out hot oil with my luscious lips. Afraid I couldn't time it just right.
Getting at the drain plug is not so bad...it's the getting up off the floor that I don't like.

Quick Reply: Can you suck the oil out?