Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you suck the oil out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:05 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master

If you siphon the oil out you may get the oil, but what about the gunk and crap at the bottom of the case?

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:06 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OlGrampy
I met a girl who said she could suck-start one, she could probably drain the oil too!
I think I knew her... she could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rustell
Getting at the drain plug is not so bad...it's the getting up off the floor that I don't like.
At 62 that what I thought also. Also been in enough engines to know that the stuff at the bottom of the case is going to pretty much stay there no mater how you get the oil out.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-09-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2011 | 08:16 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK
If you siphon the oil out you may get the oil, but what about the gunk and crap at the bottom of the case?
We should ask BMW. This is the way they service all their cars. Doesn't seem to bother them.

If I had the neat-o pump/vac they have I'd be doing it this way too. Same for the tranny and primary. Why climb all over and under the bike, scooting an oil pan here and there and risk ruining those perfectly good plug o-rings when you can just shove a hose down the filler hole and do the same thing.

Also... I love getting tranny oil running down the cross member where there is no way in hell for me to wipe it off. Never fails. AND no waiting for that last drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip...bonus!

Sign me up - if it works.

lp

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:37 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

I think I'll stick with the old gravity method when I do change the dam oil. It's less hassle and besides, this would help my bike last another 100,000 miles.....just like some oil brand over their competion tell me will make it last another 100,000 miles. And Don't forget that certain oil cooler that wil make it last another 100,000 miles, Ya Hey and ..............They can suck me !

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:51 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I am sixty one years old, so the drain plug ain't that easy to get to. Also it ain't that easy to see. Also, if I fixed up a suction hose on the shop vac, I could suck the oil out at high temperatures. I just don't have the courage to suck out hot oil with my luscious lips. Afraid I couldn't time it just right.
I am 68 years old and change my own oil all the time without any problems. And, I ride with a dude who is 78 who does his own maintenance work as well. I am the kid in the group I ride with. We got to toughen you up my man. Sixty one, you are still wet behind the ears.

Last edited by Terrabella; 04-09-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2011 | 08:53 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I know all to well about getting old and it harder to get up and down from the floor. That is why I drive my bike up on to my air lift tie it down raise the lift and sit on a short stool to get to my drain plugs. Been doing it this way for over 20 years. LOL Once it seems all the oil is drained out I use my bike jack to lift it up a couple of inches off the rear tire to make sure I get most of the oil out.

Old 04-09-2011 | 09:06 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

You suck the oil out of inboard boat engines. They do not even have a drain plug, at least that you can get too.
If you really wanted to do it, I would not, go to the boat section of walmart, they have an orange pump to suck the oil out with.
I have two in my garage.

Originally Posted by lp
We should ask BMW. This is the way they service all their cars. Doesn't seem to bother them.

If I had the neat-o pump/vac they have I'd be doing it this way too. Same for the tranny and primary. Why climb all over and under the bike, scooting an oil pan here and there and risk ruining those perfectly good plug o-rings when you can just shove a hose down the filler hole and do the same thing.

Also... I love getting tranny oil running down the cross member where there is no way in hell for me to wipe it off. Never fails. AND no waiting for that last drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip...bonus!

Sign me up - if it works.

lp

Old 04-09-2011 | 09:18 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior

just dont swallow

Old 04-09-2011 | 10:53 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Rustell, You got that right!!! OlGrampy, boy she gets around I know her to.

Quick Reply: Can you suck the oil out?