Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing Exhaust joint with Permatex Copper Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealing Exhaust joint with Permatex Copper Sealant

Hi all,
Quick question. I know that the direction has said the Permatex copper sealant will dry after 1 hour, and fully cure after 24 hours @ 70F.

My question is do I have to wait 24 hours to turn the bike and ride, or I can ride after 1 hour?

Your reply may be later than 24 hours, but it can be useful for future info.
Thanks much for any info.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:59 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

It's only temporary as the carbon is the real sealer. The rtv just helps it carbon up faster.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Interestingly, I've never known of this, and curiously, where do you get this info?
Thanks much for the response.
Nick

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Nitro NHRA
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For best results wait the 24 hr. I use it alot on my 2 stroke bikes. You will get alot better seal.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have noticed that any RTV, water, oil or hi-temp works better if you let it cure. Not saying you have to but for maximum results.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer

I've used the stuff on my dirt bikes also with great success. Clean parts and area really well, put it on, put parts back on bike, let sit for 6-8 hours. Start up bike and let it get warmed up, shut it down and wait till next day to ride. The heat and what oxygen that can reach the sealent will let it do its job. If you try to ride after one hour and you have poor mating surfaces such as misaligned header pipe or are reusing old joint gasket, you could just blow some of the sealent out wasting your time. If your in a hurry to ride, just wait to do the sealent when you have the time (that is unless your really getting a bad exhaust leak). If you get a little ooze out, just leave it alone till it hardens, then you can scrape/cut off excess, or do like I did for a buddy, used a small paint brush to put black paint on it to hide it.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nitro NHRA
For best results wait the 24 hr. I use it alot on my 2 stroke bikes. You will get alot better seal.
Originally Posted by 69cj
I have noticed that any RTV, water, oil or hi-temp works better if you let it cure. Not saying you have to but for maximum results.
Thanks much for the info.
I guess I will fire it up tomorrow then. I am still learning about my first HD.
So far, I have been riding "an exhaust leaking" bike for almost 11000 miles, without any knowledge.
I can't explain to myself why my bike (103ci) can't pull a trailer that can be pulled with a smaller bike.
I hope this time I will get something better.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Default Did I mess it up again?

Originally Posted by Geezer glider
I've used the stuff on my dirt bikes also with great success. Clean parts and area really well, put it on, put parts back on bike, let sit for 6-8 hours. Start up bike and let it get warmed up, shut it down and wait till next day to ride. The heat and what oxygen that can reach the sealent will let it do its job. If you try to ride after one hour and you have poor mating surfaces such as misaligned header pipe or are reusing old joint gasket, you could just blow some of the sealent out wasting your time. If your in a hurry to ride, just wait to do the sealent when you have the time (that is unless your really getting a bad exhaust leak). If you get a little ooze out, just leave it alone till it hardens, then you can scrape/cut off excess, or do like I did for a buddy, used a small paint brush to put black paint on it to hide it.
Thanks much for the info.
I have just done a little search, and there is a suggestion that apply the sealant, and leave it on the joint for 24 hours, before tighten the clamp.
I've already tighten the clamp immediately after slip on the muffler.
Did I mess up thing again?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

High-temp is available in black.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I've used it for years on my ATVs & HDs. I let mine cure. I know way back in 1992 HD was using some type of clear rtv.

Quick Reply: Sealing Exhaust joint with Permatex Copper Sealant