Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly am I screwed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
adamwayne
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How badly am I screwed...

Spending some quality time with my Classic installing a beautiful set of Rhinehart pipes and I broke a jacked up exhaust stud I was trying to remove. Just a little outside of the head. Not enough to get a hold of. Anybody know it this is something that can be fixed with the head still on? I think I'll leave the removal to a pro since I have done enough damage but does anyone have an idea how bad this really is? Not the end of the world I'm sure but sure hurt my day...Thanks for any help! Ride safe!
Adam

Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

Anything can be fixed, stay positive

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Ought to be able to get it with an easy out.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow it must be the month, im going through the same thing, there are a few options, there is a guide tool @ georges garage that works really well, not sure which stud it is, for me its the front stud, blocked by the frame, if that is the case, you can find an omni tool attachment for your drill, comes with extra short drills bits, that with the guide and you can drill it out, than re-tap to make sure the threads are nice and clean and vacuum out the debris, this weekend i am going to try and weld a nut to it which should work well and the weld will not stick to the aluminum heads, if you need more info PM me. Ted

Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Groversue
Cruiser

no big deal just take it to a pro. call around and describe what you got, you'll find someone who has fixed this before........you're not the first one to do this.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain

Yes and easy out can work as well, but be careful, my last attempt at getting a wheel nut out turned bad, easy out snapped inside of it......make sure to get decent quality easy outs and take your time, start with a smaller drill bit, than go up in size as much as you can with larger drill bits without the risk of touching the threads, than you should be able to fit the larger stronger easy out in, you dont want to break an east out in there, otherwise no more east out.....very hard out! Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

If it's one of the exhaust flange bolts (in cyl head) they're replaceable...not too hard (screw in/out) as long as you've got enough stud left to get the old one out. If not...harder to remove because you've got to drill & extract. Pics would be nice to see how bad it is & the location...

Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM
buckmc
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try applying a good penetrating oil on it.let it sit for 24 hour's,then drill a hole all the way through it,just make sure to go all the way through.If that doesn't work,and if you know a good welder then you can weld a nut on the stud,this should bring it out,just go slow,and remember not to get it too hot.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM
131tman
Road Master

JIMS or George's Garage Exhaust Stud Drill Jig or do it with a steady hand. Tap for Helicoil insert if ya dummy the threads.

Last edited by 131tman; 04-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drill hole on center use and easy-out after you heat around the stud with a propane torch. Be careful to shield anything and everything around it before putting the heat to it!

Quick Reply: How badly am I screwed...