Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...

Hi All,

Just wondering what the formula is for the perfect motorcycle ergonomics. I imagine some of it is subjective to personal preference, however I have no idea how to know what is the right fit for some reason.. Is there a method to figuring out the right position including arms, back position (forward or back), distance of your butt from the tank, reach to bars, etc, etc, etc? I would imagine there is a protocol to the right ergonomics to a good overall postition?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes Jeff, there is, it's called "time in the saddle".

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

That is way to subjective. I have a freind that his bike set up with drag bars and forward controls. I have to stretch way out like I am doing a situp, legs and arms fully extended bent over in the middle just to ride the thing. I think it is torture, he set it up this way on purpose because it is SO comfortable. To each his own. I like the more upright, standard riding position.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, then for the standard, upright, more traditional position, maybe we can fine tune a method in that direction?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Modifications are generally a given. The key is to buy parts only once. When it comes time for new handlebars or new seat, (probably the 2 things most often changed out), try to find one on another persons motorcycle. Ask them to sit on their bike (don't be offended if they say "no"). That way you can get first hand experience of what it feels like to you. Go to your local H-D shop when they're having a party and many bikes are there. That's great opportunity to talk to other riders and check out their bikes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by one-up; 04-08-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no way to come up with a one size fits all formula for comfort when it comes to tailoring a bike to fit a rider. I have had my bike for three years and I am close to getting my bike to fit me perfectly. Like one post put it before you need to put a lot of miles on your machine and see where it "hurts" then start there for comfort. I would also go as far to say ride different types of bikes utilizing the demo days at HD, Honda, BMW, etc. This will give you something to compare your bike to and will add inspiration to your fitment journey.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I see of riders on the highway you'd think the only way to ride was with your arms locked straight out. Doesn't work for me, though.

It's really a trial and error process to get comfortable. Seat, bars and for a lot of us, a rider backrest. But man, once you get it right, it's a good ride.

I have to stretch way out like I am doing a situp, legs and arms fully extended bent over in the middle just to ride the thing.
My son was in the same position on his 2004 XL1200C with the factory drag bars and forward controls. It killed him on trips and we travel a fair amount. He put a set of bars on from a Superglide and while to some they may not look "Sporty" it's fixed his comfort problems.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,294 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Ergonomics is all on the individual.

There are many of the same model bikes here that are set up in wildly different ways. Each person likes what they have done.

I ride slightly lowered with 16" Apes. Others put a higher seat and Beach bars, etc.

There is no magic formula.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's hurting, move it.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The fit is going to be very subjective. The best way to "fit" yourself to a bike is to ride different bikes and see what feels best to you. Time in the saddle is the best measure. I know Harley has that "custom fit" department thing going on at some dealerships. I don't know what their credentials are for ergonomically fitting someone, but it might be interesting to ask. In one of my past "careers" I did injured worker ergonomic assessments, but never on a motorcycle.

I can tell you that "out of the box" every bike I've bought I've had to alter to "fit" me.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...