Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There can be no formula developed for something that is largely subjective. Others have stated it... time in the saddle will allow you to rig your scoot for you. That's it. Unfortunately, it usually involves trial & error (read: $$)

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Hi All,

Just wondering what the formula is for the perfect motorcycle ergonomics. I imagine some of it is subjective to personal preference, however I have no idea how to know what is the right fit for some reason.. Is there a method to figuring out the right position including arms, back position (forward or back), distance of your butt from the tank, reach to bars, etc, etc, etc? I would imagine there is a protocol to the right ergonomics to a good overall postition?
It seems to me that stock Harleys have near perfect ergonomics.

(If you are 6' 1''.)

Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm 6' & 220. My RK was almost perfect except the stock seat drives me after about 100 miles. Looking at Mustangs etc, One thing I picked up on years ago is if when sitting my knees are higher than my hips I am uncomfortable in no time. Floorboard extensions would work but I already had hwy pegs. So that's where my feet are almost always. My .02/

Last edited by RevBlk; 04-08-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
It seems to me that stock Harleys have near perfect ergonomics.

(If you are 6' 1''.)
I'm 6-1... have to disagree.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I have done is made my bike comfortable for me and the old lady I am 5-10 and 230# normal stocky proportion with the exception of a little longer arms, wife is 5-3 and a buck fifteen. They say your forearms should be parallel to the ground and arms slightly bent. So I did that for my basic set up with the Kromeworks sweepers +2. I moved my floor boards forward 2" and out 1", lengthened my shifter and foot brake 2" also. My freeway pegs are down low and close to the floor board so I can heal toe or use them independently. My C&C Super Tourer seat moved me back 3/4" and down about an 1 1/4" I have the riders back rest. Now I made it so I was comfortable in 3 positions sitting up leaning forward for aggressive riding, riding in the normal position and finally kicking way back on the lo ladies fine front side. I have it dialed in now so I can move about and really enjoy every spot. The way the freeway pegs are set up my legs are almost straight but it I go to lock my legs and arms I can unweight my a$$ of the seat for a bit which is really nice. I can ride for miles in any position makes for a nice ride. The ability to move about plane freely on your flight makes a huge difference when you doing 400 to 600 miles a day for weeks at a time. For the ol lady I move the tour pak back a 1 1/4" removed the bag guards and put adjustable freeway pegs on in addition to her floor boards also. She can do the same amount of riding as me and we really like the way the bike is set up. It was an evolution took some time and trial and error and one you found something else you liked you may have had to go back and change another thing to accommodate for the new found item. Good luck in finding what works for you remember the variety of positions is huge in my opinion so a little give and take to make them all close to perfect has worked well for me.

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 04-09-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

harley is brilliant with their marketing strategy. for example, my streetglide is a great bike, but the seat, windshield, and handlebars might fit someone, but it's certainly not me. i changed out the seat for an 09 roadglide seat which was a huge improvement in comfort, and got a stock e-glide windshield and then replaced that with a long ride shield. either of those are far better than the stock 4" or so, high windshield. the bars, another real problem as they tend to cause me to lean forward to reach them, and i'm not short at all at 6' 4". so do you see a trend here? harley sells a bike that looks sweet on the showroom floor, but in the real world you have to modify them to fit you. this makes them more money in the parts and service section of their store. brilliant marketing indeed.