Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
bad2dabone
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as all are saying, it is a process.
sitting on other similar bikes, looking for that right fit and then riding for a while to find out if you choose wisely......

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have been very impressed by the dealership I got my bike at. They do a lot with the Fit Shop stuff from HE and will let you try many options before you buy.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never bought anything, except a seat, to improve ergonomics, and that was not really for seating position, it was because the stock Wide Glide seat was completely useless. The seat on my UC is better, but it still sucks compared to a Mustang. As far as seating position, I just get used to it - you could spend big $$$ trying to get it perfect. My body just adapts and it's fine. Extremes I cannot get used to - drags and fwds give me a backache but apes and fwds are sweeeeet. The stock UC seating position is fine for me.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 PM
michaelm
Tourer

In 20+ years of riding Harleys, my observation is that they're set up for guys with 35" sleeves and 34" inseams from the factory.

My sleeves are 32" and my inseam barely 30". I change bars immediately and add a LOT of pullback. Fortunately, most models sit low "out of the box."

Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Some Harley dealers have a set up where you can try out different seat and handlebar combos. But as stated above, the best way to learn what's best for you is to log saddle time on the road. Your body will tell you if any changes are needed.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh oh I know the answer...

*smart azz mode on*
The Complex Riding Plane
In the Euclidean Plane points are represented by an ordered pair (x,y)
where x is the horizontal distance from the origin and y is the vertical dis-
tance from the origin. These are known as rectangular coordinates. We
can designate points in the Euclidian plane by a different set of values (r, θ)
where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the direction from the ori-
gin, where 0 is along the positive x-axis and counterclockwise rotation is
increasing direction. The y=axis having direction π . 2
From the Pythagorean theorem we have x2 + y2 = r2. From the basic trigonometric relations we have x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. We also have
θ = arctan y and r = 􏰁x2 + y2. x
In the complex number plane, complex numbers are represented by x+iy wherei=√−1. Wecanrepresentxbyx=rcosθandybyy=rsinθ. Thus the complex number x + iy can be written as
r cos θ + ir sin θ = r(cos θ + i sin θ).

Solution:
√3+i = 2(√3+1i) √22
(2( 3+1i))3 = 23(cosπ+isinπ)3 2266
= 8(cos(3·Π)+isin(3·Π)) 66
= 8(cosΠ+isinΠ) 22
= 8(0+i) = 8i

*smart azz mode off*

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
If it's hurting, move it.
That right there has to be the best answer you will ever get.

You can try to fit it at the dealer on a dry run but until you get it on the road and ride (read as 100 + miles) you won't know what suits your riding position.

Ride it, ride it some more figure out what you do and don't like and go from there.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
amabeetle
Cruiser

You should fit your bike comfortably, obviously, and body mechanics/ergonomics do have an effect on human performance. In an office you can measure your fit for a chair and desk and keyboard etc., similarly you should be able to say 90 degrees works for knee bend, hip flexion, arms straight from shoulder to bars, parallel to the ground, head able to look forward straight through or over windshield without neck bend. These things are the long distance rider's comfort needs and I believe there is a formula for good ergos. Just my opinion, as a newby, if you wanted a serious reply...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelm
In 20+ years of riding Harleys, my observation is that they're set up for guys with 35" sleeves and 34" inseams from the factory.

My sleeves are 32" and my inseam barely 30". I change bars immediately and add a LOT of pullback. Fortunately, most models sit low "out of the box."

Works for me!
Maybe that's why I didn't need to change my bars.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:20 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amabeetle
You should fit your bike comfortably, obviously, and body mechanics/ergonomics do have an effect on human performance. In an office you can measure your fit for a chair and desk and keyboard etc., similarly you should be able to say 90 degrees works for knee bend, hip flexion, arms straight from shoulder to bars, parallel to the ground, head able to look forward straight through or over windshield without neck bend. These things are the long distance rider's comfort needs and I believe there is a formula for good ergos. Just my opinion, as a newby, if you wanted a serious reply...
Thanks.. Do you think it's correct to have arms straight from shoulder to bars, parallel to the ground, with no bend in the elbows? Wondering if gravity would want to keep pushing the arms down, which is why harley has it so your slightly angled downward from shoulder to hands/grips...

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Rider Ergonomics...