Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Owners...what did you replace your stock windshield with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:50 PM
Port Dawg
|
Road Warrior
Default Road King Owners...what did you replace your stock windshield with?

I was getting a fair amount of wind noise while riding my Road King so I decided to throw on the chrome fork wind deflectors. They seem to do a decent job, not quite as good as the Memphis Shade Shield and lowers combo I had on my VTX though.

In any event at highway speeds I am getting....well not sure if it is buffeting as my vision is fine and no pounding on the head...what I am getting is a pretty hard pulsing on the ears..and it is worse with earplugs in! I imagine it is a form of buffeting so in order to get more protection I'm thinking of changing the shield out.

Suggestions on what you did to calm down highway ride a bit? I tried riding without a helmet today to see if what was my HJC half helmet but still same result. I've read some good things here about Clearview and Long Ride shields and wonder if they really do work as advertised.....I love the King but this thumping in the right ear (yes just the right!) precludes any long highway rides that is for sure. I'll be riding the VTX to work until I find a solution I think! I see how some guys have said the have a nice still pocket of air behind their shields and that is what I'm striving for

Old 04-07-2011 | 09:55 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

have you ridden without the windshield? or is that not an option?

Old 04-07-2011 | 10:02 PM
rk10
Cruiser

I didnt have the prblem you are describing on my 2010 Road King, However I replaced the stock shield with a 17" medium tint from Long Ride Shields and I am very happy with it. I am 5'9" and the stock shield was in my line of sight. The 17" allows me to see over the top with no buffeting.

Old 04-07-2011 | 10:06 PM
macgrg
Advanced

Didn't replace it ,but installed a Laminar Lip. Huge difference, wife was complaining about too much buffeting this cured it. I originally mounted the lip about 1" higher than the windshield top edge. Got tired of straining to look over the top. I dropped the lip about an inch and it's even quieter now. If I smoked, it would be easy to light a cigarette at 70mph!

Old 04-07-2011 | 10:11 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

I hardly ever use mine, but when I do I use the -4" Smoked.
I sound like a commercial...."Stay Thirsty My Friend" DOS XX

Old 04-08-2011 | 04:02 AM
Port Dawg
|
Road Warrior

Yeah, I commute 100 miles per day so it is nice to have the shield (98% highway) But unless I find a cure for the "ear thump" there won't be any of that. The VTX will have the dust blown off it and pulled out of the back of the garage lol

I'm about 5'11 and I can see clear over the top of the stocker...I'm thinking maybe the CV or LR shield at 22" may really help a bit...but wonder if similar sized people have tried this and with what results?

Old 04-08-2011 | 06:05 AM
les63
Tourer

Replace mine with a memphis shades batwing fairing

Old 04-08-2011 | 06:33 AM
6speed51
Road Captain

Look at RIFLE INDUSTRIES,they make a shield that is thicker and a few inches wider than stock.

Old 04-08-2011 | 06:57 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

I see how some guys have said the have a nice still pocket of air behind their shields and that is what I'm striving for
You need to research the Klock Werks Billboard Flare. I posted a review somewhere. Lots of info on their web site.

Old 04-08-2011 | 07:18 AM
2>4
Road Captain

I love my Clearview shield. It's nice and thick which means not flex at highway speed. It also has a little lip at the top that works great to redirect the air over me.

Quick Reply: Road King Owners...what did you replace your stock windshield with?