Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Smithy55
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide - advice please

I'm returning to the US this June for some further touring. In the past I have hired an Ultra both times but this time I will be riding a Road Glide.

As this bike is unavailable in Australia where I live I was wondering how different it is to ride with the fixed fairing as opposed to the Ultra and Street Glide like I have here.

Will be on the road for three weeks with five mates, and will be just happy to be riding anything really but any thoughts from experienced Road Glide riders would be appreciated.

cheers

Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a Road King to a Road Glide Ultra. Didn't notice the fixed fairing within a few minutes of riding.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

you won't be able to see around corners at night and you won't be able to reach the radio.......

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done a bit over 140,000 in the last 9 years on RG's & don't want anything else on the highway.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

More room with the Fairing. With the Batwing, it is right in your face. That makes the reach to the radio easy, but I have the feeling of being in a box. With the Road Glide, the Fairing is out and wide open. You will need to reach out to hit the buttons on the radio. That makes the hand controls great.

The addition of the fairing Pockets good for storage of gloves. I keep a small bottle of water in one. This way I can reach it when riding and put it back without stopping.

If you can get the Road Glide Ultra, get it. The Lowers and Tour Pak make long ride so much better. If you are just "Bar Hopping", you can settle for the Road Glide Custom.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

You won't notice the fairing after a few miles. IMO, it handles much better. try to get the Ultra with the tour pack.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Given most riders are looking down the road to where they are going..... I'm confused as to WHY the fixed fairing is such an issue for some.

Other than pressing the "power" button, all controls for the radio (on my '05 FLTR) are placed on my thumb switches. so that negates the "radio is too far" whine

Because the windshield, and fairing are so forwars, a rider MIGHT feel more wind, than with a batwing. Most owners of FLTR models play around with seat/bar/shield combination until we are happy (as do most riders on EVERY OTHER model).

Take the bike out for a short ride... if it "bothers you" I'd imaging the rental agent, will swap your resevervation from a Rod Glide, to one of the many bat wing bikes in their inventory

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

you guys all talk about reaching the radio did you guys ever try using the radio controls on the handle bars???????????????????????????

Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna be expensive!.......When you decide you have to ship the Road Glide back to Australia...........

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7125
you guys all talk about reaching the radio did you guys ever try using the radio controls on the handle bars???????????????????????????
You can do just about everything from the handlebar controls EXCEPT scan through the presets.

I can't imagine why they didn't program that in?

Be wary of falling in love with a bike you can't get in your native country!

Quick Reply: Road Glide - advice please