Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinm40
Like 99.99% of the cars and every other touring motorcycle on the roads today. I think there is 1 car manufactur that has headlights that turn and BMW just came out with them. Even on my RK I look past the headlamps in a turn, even at night. This is a non-issue.

Unless you use the handy radio controls on the left handlebar in the vicinity of the left thumb. Dave, did you also know there is a turn signal and a horn on the left bar as well?

I am amazed how many riders feel you have to have a bat wing operate the radio or turn your head at night.

actually, my wife's 2008 cadillac has headlights that turn when you do.... but that's not the point of this post. i have been thinking about that statement concerning the turning of the headlights for a couple of weeks.

someone tell me if i'm wrong or overthinking it here.... when you are at speed, you countersteer, press left, lean left, go left..... so it would seem logical to me that when you press left, you are actually turning the handlebars slightly to the right, which if you have a batwing, would then put your headlight slightly to the right, away from the direction you are turning, albeit ever so slightly.

so with the frame mounted fairing/headlight combo, you are actually putting more light where you want to go.

now granted this is all at speeds above parking lot speed, but that was the original point, curves at night.....

what say you?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
You will enjoy it.......
Originally Posted by Jinks
Gonna be expensive!.......When you decide you have to ship the Road Glide back to Australia...........
....... oh boy, are you in for a good time !

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

buy it you cant go wrong

Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's easier, to do a wheelie, on a roadglide

Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinm40
Like 99.99% of the cars and every other touring motorcycle on the roads today. I think there is 1 car manufactur that has headlights that turn and BMW just came out with them. Even on my RK I look past the headlamps in a turn, even at night. This is a non-issue.

Unless you use the handy radio controls on the left handlebar in the vicinity of the left thumb. Dave, did you also know there is a turn signal and a horn on the left bar as well?

I am amazed how many riders feel you have to have a bat wing operate the radio or turn your head at night.
c'mon gramps pay attention. any chance my comments might have been in fun? hint.... look at my sig pic.....

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
brhodea
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deffinately go with the Road Glide Ultra for your 3 week tour. Then you'll have to figure out how to import one to the Aussie Land!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Kevinm40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
c'mon gramps pay attention. any chance my comments might have been in fun? hint.... look at my sig pic.....
What's that sonny? Use bigger fonts I can't hear you. LOL

Yea, like alot of forum users I wish there was a sarchasim font.

No blood, no fowl.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest surprise after having ridden my new RG (currently at 1800mi) is that at speed, especially on hilly to mountainous roads, is how the fixed fairing pushes the bike to the road (similar to an air-dam on a car) it is FANTASTIC and stable beyond my expectatations!
Dude - you are going to be pissed to leave it behind. Have fun and stay on the right side of the road...

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

My advice is to go to www.ceebaileys.com and order a CeeGlide windshield. Have it waiting for you when you get here. It will truly make the bike fit you and it will do a great job of shedding the air over and around you. I've been running their TRSSC shield for a year and a half. It looks to me that the CeeGlide is an improvement over what I have. Though I would check with the bike rental company to see if they have a problem with the windshield change.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
....... oh boy, are you in for a good time !
Dude... your pics from the saddle make me wanna hit the road until Monday...

Quick Reply: Road Glide - advice please