Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
jayray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What used to be a well guarded secret is out. Once you ride one you will love it!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
You can do just about everything from the handlebar controls EXCEPT scan through the presets.

I can't imagine why they didn't program that in?

Be wary of falling in love with a bike you can't get in your native country!
There is some that have fallen for the RG and converted their's into a RG.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 04-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Given most riders are looking down the road to where they are going..... I'm confused as to WHY the fixed fairing is such an issue for some.
I bet any money those folks are the ones that crash a lot!
Ive had my R/G for 4 years now and can count on one hand how many times Ive had to reach for the dash.
Ive ridden my friends batwing and it feels like Im getting into my wifes car, I found my self looking to slide the seat back for breathing room, and Im only 5'9".
It is the only way to go on long trips hands down. Been on interstate trips on 600 mile days in 40+ mph winds, at the end of the day the batwingers were looking for a place to lay down and rest, not so on the shark nose. But please come back and provide your comparisons after your trip.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The ultra will have better wind protection "out of the box". I assume a rental custom will have that useless windshield. I swapped out my windshield and seat, and couldn't be happier.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

if they offer you the road glide custom with the toenail windshield, ask for the ultra with a real windshield. that toenail will cause you to think that the roadglide is the biggest pos hd has. you won't be able to hear the radio over 35mph, and the windnoise will bug the heck out of you.

not an issue if they have changed out the stock shield, but for 2 up, the extra inch of suspension travel in the back will be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
if they offer you the road glide custom with the toenail windshield, ask for the ultra with a real windshield. that toenail will cause you to think that the roadglide is the biggest pos hd has. you won't be able to hear the radio over 35mph, and the windnoise will bug the heck out of you.

The custom windshield is just like someone sitting behind you beating your ears with ping pong paddles. Or ride a custom with a better windshield. Anybody that has a hard time going from a batwing to a fixed fairing should not even be riding any type of motorcycle.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Ditto on the windshield. Will you be able to rent an ultra? Maybe you answered this question. I thought the handlebars were in a different location down under.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Ditto on the windshield. Will you be able to rent an ultra? Maybe you answered this question. I thought the handlebars were in a different location down under.
Somehow I don't think they have right side drive on a motorcycle.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Kevinm40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
you won't be able to see around corners at night
Like 99.99% of the cars and every other touring motorcycle on the roads today. I think there is 1 car manufactur that has headlights that turn and BMW just came out with them. Even on my RK I look past the headlamps in a turn, even at night. This is a non-issue.

Originally Posted by davewear
and you won't be able to reach the radio.......
Unless you use the handy radio controls on the left handlebar in the vicinity of the left thumb. Dave, did you also know there is a turn signal and a horn on the left bar as well?

I am amazed how many riders feel you have to have a bat wing operate the radio or turn your head at night.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will enjoy it.......

Quick Reply: Road Glide - advice please