Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 UG - Left grip glued?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also put an air gun to it and blow it off if you wanna keep it around, otherwise just cut it off.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice given here. I did the changeout Friday. The hardest part was trying to remove the left handgrip without cutting it off. I did it but it took me about a half hour or more trying various methods suggested here. It would have been so much simpler just to cut it off as I doubt it will ever be reused. Once the left grip was off, I scrapped off the remnants of rubber glued to the metal and then the left grip slid right on and the switch housing keeps it in position without glue.

Right grip was changed out in about 10 mins - not forgetting to put the spacer between the brake lever and housing. I had visions of the guts falling out the the end of the bar when the old grip came off but that didn't happen. The new one slid right into position.

One small bit of advice: before removing either grip I took a fine point sharpie and put a small mark on the handlebar where the two halves of the brake and clutch assemblies met. This made it easier to 1) ensure the new grips were inserted to the same extend as the old ones, and 2) position the levers and controls on the bar at the same angle they had been before being loosened and moved.

Went for my first ride today with the new grips. The Get-a-Grips are very comfortable and look great! Glad I did the switch.