Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick, Tap, gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:18 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Edit:never mind, got it.

Last edited by FX4; 04-07-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
...I dont know why the black ops lifter is working for many of us but when I look at the cost of the shims $6 usd per pack...
it was easier to pay 180 delivered for the ops and install myself then for me to tare back into the engine. If and when I re-do an engine I will pay more attention to the gaps of the rockers aswell but also go with a superior lifter while im there. Just saying this time I got luckey and my first fix(lifters) solved the problem.I see both as excellent advice.

btw I have new HD b lifters with 300 miles on them for sale.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olelucky
great info fireaxxe, my local dealer has been chasing this noise on mine. they tried new lifters and "mic-ed" everything which is within Harley specs. I'll do this and hopefully cure the 2500-2800 noise. question-why the shovel shims? do they not make them for the tc? thanks
Harley dosent offer shims for the tc, and I do not know why. I figured this sound was part of the retro theme they were marketing, but they did not anticipate so many tc owners complaining about it. Or maybe they would rather sell you the SE rocker support plate and rocker arms. I am not sure why but this is a dumb idea, the engine sound great now actually better then when I picked it up with 7miles on it. The shims for the Shovelhead are an exact fit.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
wideopen1967
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fueling cams and lifters

After I changed cams this winter (fueling 574 chain drive and Fueling HP+ lifters) I have no tick. With the stock set up it was ticking really loud.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
sbergerson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
On the front cylinder the shim that goes on the intake rocker arm shaft goes on the side closes to the valve, and the exhaust rocker arm shim goes on the side closest to the push rod. Once you take everything apart you will see where the wear is on the rocker arm support plate, install the shims OPPOSITE of the wear side.

Here is a link to where I got the shims

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChro...d_Engines.html
I checked this company and they are out of stock on all but the .020 shims. Anyone know who stocks shims?

Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

J&P cycles has all the shims in stock. They are pricey through J&P though. I have started on the project...

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Going to do thi mod myself this week, ordered all sizes of shims, haven't measured yet but my plan is to use the thickest shim, meaning I will file the rocker arm if need be. I'll report my experience when I get everything wrapped up.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

this is a good thread fireaxe. mine is still quiet, but now i know where to look. and i thought you just bought some new earplugs.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 PM
sbergerson
Cruiser

OK, I found the shims. Rear cylinder was .06 endplay for the rocker arm. The front cylinder was .16. I shimmed the front to .05. Buttoned the whole thing up and took it out for a ride. It sounded great!!!... Until she warmed up. Once the bike warmed up, it sounded as bad or worse than before.

Again, I've done new lifters, pushrods, and now shimmed the rockers. I'm at my wits end, so I drive 40 miles to a mechanic to have him listen to it. When I arrive at the shop, there is NO NOISE! We can't make it tick.

The only problem at the shop is that when the engine shuts off, there is a "squeak, squeak" coming from somewhere... never heard it before.

Why the H*** did the noise disappear?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Those were my exact results. I'm on to the oil pump now.

Quick Reply: Tick, Tap, gone!!!