Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower fairing speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lower fairing speakers??

I've added lowers to my SG and am considering installing speakers in the glove boxes. For those that already have that set-up my question is, is this set-up worth the expense. Is the sound that much better?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I had Hogtunes on my '07 (all 4 holes plus the amp and speakers in the lowers). YES, it's worth it. Just yesterday I ordered the new amp and 7" woofers for my lowers on the new bike.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the hog tunes speaker kit in my lowers and would not do it again. The speakers are just tied into the fairing speakers. While they sound good sitting in the driveway while cleaning the bike giving the stereo a much fuller sound, going down the road I don't even know they are there!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
The speakers are just tied into the fairing speakers.
Depends on your set-up. Mine were powered by the amp and were not tied into the fairing speakers. The fairing speakers were powered by the head unit.

I have the BOOM! speakers in my fairing right now and like them alot, but there is definately something missing as compared to my '07. Doesn't sound as "full". I can't wait to get my new ones installed.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am considering doing this myself. I think it will depend on the brand/quality of speakers you use and how you power them. Just my .02

Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
I put the hog tunes speaker kit in my lowers and would not do it again. The speakers are just tied into the fairing speakers. While they sound good sitting in the driveway while cleaning the bike giving the stereo a much fuller sound, going down the road I don't even know they are there!
Am I understanding that you didn't have the 160W, 4 channel amp? I was talking to Pez today and he said the Amp is a must with that set-up.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this on my 06 Road Glide and it did improve the sound. Used a Sony 4 channel 500 watt amp. I could adjust the gain higher on the lowers more than the fairing speakers, really works to balance it out.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the hog tunes in my lowers with an amp and I love it, going to get the 7" woofers for that extra base, I am music junky so it is important to me. A word of advice though, if you have not chandged your air cleaner and might be looking to put some type of heavy breather on your bike, the lowers will get in the way and limit your options for the air cleaner. I really wanted to add the S&S tuned port induction with the two cleaners, thought it looked bad ***, J&M cycles lists it as fitting but it will not. The lowers will not allow alot of Spikes and different types of air cleaners so think about what you want. of course, this is only from what I ahave read on On line part stores such as J&M, Eastern, Phat and others, so if you do add tunes there, you could limit options in the future.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
jdiamondv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I've added lowers to my SG and am considering installing speakers in the glove boxes. For those that already have that set-up my question is, is this set-up worth the expense. Is the sound that much better?
It was worth it to me, but the question is how much do you want to spend. I have all 4 speakers powered by an one amp and they all sound great. I spent about 700 bucks on everything and did the labor myself. jd

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM
toad6301
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DONE it, LOVE it, and would do it again without
a doubt.........

8 speakers total, 2 fairing, 2 lower, 2 rear
on tour-pak, and the 2 on the tweeter-pod.

Quick Reply: Lower fairing speakers??