Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower fairing speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

An economical way to have speakers in the lowers is to use the 2011 CVO SG speaker boxes ($31 ea. list price), use the rear speaker outputs from the HK radio (~$40 in parts), and a pair of modestly priced 6.5" speakers (~$80). That will give you basically the same sound volume/quality that is OEM on an Ultra albeit with the "rear" speakers in the lowers and 6.5" speakers instead of the 5.25" speakers used in the tour pak speaker pods.

I did what's described above but used an Arc 125.2 mini amp to power the speakers in the lowers; I've been very happy with that set-up, but will install the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel amp that should be available soon. The amp will drive the fairing and fairing lower speakers. The change is more to do with me not leaving well enough alone, and not any dissatisfaction with the Arc amp set-up, and the price point of the RF amp being well under $300.

Previously, I had the original HT fairing lower speaker kit (5.25" speakers) w/ HT amp and it simply didn't work for me--sounded great with the bike stationary, but couldn't tell there were speakers in the lowers at speed.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Previously, I had the original HT fairing lower speaker kit (5.25" speakers) w/ HT amp and it simply didn't work for me--sounded great with the bike stationary, but couldn't tell there were speakers in the lowers at speed.

Carl
It was the HT set-up I was thinking of. Did you use their 2 channel or 4 channel amp?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the two-channel amp. Take PEZ's advice; he's very honest and knows bike audio.

Carl

Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm happy I asked the question but I'm still on the fence due to mixed reports. Maybe I should just get a two channel amp and bump up my existing speakers (hogtune fairing and tweeter pod speakers) and forget about adding them to the lowers.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM
rideshack
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will notice a huge difference changing out the stock speakers. If you run the Hog Tunes 7"woofers you will need to install the 4 channel 160 wat amp. The 2 channel Hog Tunes amp and speaker kit is great upgrade also. I have attached a couple of links for you to check out to do some research.
4405-0171 Hog Tunes amp and speaker kit
http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES-AM.../4405-0171.htm
4405-0231 160wat amp
http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES-TW.../4405-0231.htm
4405-0233 7in woofers
http://www.rideshack.com/HOGTUNES-7-.../4405-0233.htm

Hope this helps.
If you have any questions please feel free to give us a shout!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I've had the original Hogtunes 5.25" lower speakers w/amp for two years and love it. I have the 7" woofers with the 160 watt amp in the garage waiting for install this weekend. Can't wait. To answer the original question, yes, I think the speakers in the lowers really helps.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the regular HT speakers in the lowers and it does fill in the sound nicely. Someday I will add the 7" Woofers and use the second amp I have to run the rear speakers.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Lawnboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Hertz speakers in my lowers running off a 400/4 JL Audio amp, 2 channels running the lower, other 2 running Cyclesounds lids. I feel the lowers are awesome, especially for me with no windshield. Well worth the money...as some people describe it...A Wall of Sound.....

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything but made in China J&M. I have found the Hertz speakers are very nice.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See if I got this correct?

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
An economical way to have speakers in the lowers is to use the 2011 CVO SG speaker boxes ($31 ea. list price), use the rear speaker outputs from the HK radio (~$40 in parts), and a pair of modestly priced 6.5" speakers (~$80). That will give you basically the same sound volume/quality that is OEM on an Ultra albeit with the "rear" speakers in the lowers and 6.5" speakers instead of the 5.25" speakers used in the tour pak speaker pods.

I did what's described above but used an Arc 125.2 mini amp to power the speakers in the lowers; I've been very happy with that set-up, but will install the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel amp that should be available soon. The amp will drive the fairing and fairing lower speakers. The change is more to do with me not leaving well enough alone, and not any dissatisfaction with the Arc amp set-up, and the price point of the RF amp being well under $300.

Carl
I have been looking to add the lower speakers for awhile, since my rear HT speakers can not be heard much while riding, I removed the pods. Thought I would re-route wiring to the lowers and go this route. I currently have a Sony 50w HU and ran external speaker wiring to all 4 HT spkrs. I can use the pair going to the rear for the lowers. I have been investigating the CVO boxes. Can you tell me what is included, I don't have catalog and can't find on HD site. So is all I need the lower speaker boxes, do they have a grill or some sort of cover? # 57410-11 & 57419-11 are the correct numbers I hope, just don't know what else I will need. I am considering going with the 7" woofer. Any insight will be appreciated

Quick Reply: Lower fairing speakers??