Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a mapping program for bike trips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a mapping program for bike trips?

Is there a mapping program for bike trips?
I'm thinking of riding to Myrtlle Beach from New Hampshire and was wondering what people use for trip planning. When I take the truck, I use Mapquest but I dont think I want to be on the big roads any more than I have to be. I am looking to take as many smaller roads as I can without going through every little town between here and there.

Any ideas?

Also, I posted this here because I figured people with touring bikes took more trips than others do, but if there is a better place for this post please let me know

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a member of HOG, I use their Ride Planner feature on their website. It's very comprehensive and shows everything from dirt roads to interstates. Ride safe.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Google Maps works well. You can choose any roads you like.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Some Interstates have side roads that parallel a few miles away, and make for a more relax
ride. I am an oldPhat guy that still use a paper folding G P S. AAA has some great maps.
My insurance company also has a trip planer, that dose route a trip on mostly secondary
roads, if you ask for that way of travel. Good luck, and ride safe.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If you use a GPS (the non-folding variety) on your bike, find mapping software that will allow you to map out your route and will also allow you to download your route to the GPS. Trying to duplicate a planned route on a GPS that wants you to take the fastest route is almost impossible, especially with gloves on. If you don't use a GPS, just head south/southwest for a good long way and then turn left before you get to Georgia.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM
LaneG
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Microsoft Streets & Trips is another option. I will also down load your route to your GPS.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

I suggest you get yourself a Garmin and then use Mapsource. You will still need to decide on the roads to build a map to follow.

I'll tell you this, unless you have a long time to get down there you are going to want to ride some highways, they key is what ones.

My advice is go west on 84 out to Scranton PA and take 81S to Harrisburg avoid NJ and the Megalopolis. Get down down south and then work your way back Southeast to MB.

Depends what kind of time you need to make.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
slarson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have a planner but here is a site for a check list
http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I do when I want to ride my own route. I use Google maps and look at the map at a level (use the slider bar) to get where I can see my starting point and the towns along my visual route that I have in mind. I put my starting address in and then pick a town farther along that route so Google maps will use those roads then click "get directions. I then add a destination and then pick the next destination town and click "get directions"...so on until I have a route mapped along roads I want to take. At any point along the way you can manually drag the route to a new road as needed as well.

Last edited by glide2meetu; 04-05-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a free program called TYRE - Trace Your Route Everywhere. Just google tyre and you will find it. It is excellent and runs in conjunction with google maps.

Here is the URL

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Last edited by scottdoege; 04-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there a mapping program for bike trips?