Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a mapping program for bike trips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaneG
Microsoft Streets & Trips is another option. I will also down load your route to your GPS.
+1 one for Streets & Trips. Gps's are good but this lets you map it out, plan your overnight locations. It also checks for road construction along your route and closed roads. Better than guesstimating. Bets the crap outta a program just gets you from point A to point B. That is unless of course you know where you want to spend the night.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
Here's what I do when I want to ride my own route. I use Google maps and look at the map at a level (use the slider bar) to get where I can see my starting point and the towns along my visual route that I have in mind. I put my starting address in and then pick a town farther along that route so Google maps will use those roads then click "get directions. I then add a destination and then pick the next destination town and click "get directions"...so on until I have a route mapped along roads I want to take. At any point along the way you can manually drag the route to a new road as needed as well.

Thats what I do......

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Microsoft street & trips works good for me. You can pick up a year old program for around $20 if you look around.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the HOG Ride Planner and download the rides to my GPS. I also have some Mad Maps that I use. They are weather proof and show a lot of good riding roads.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Zumo 550 and use Mapsource. You can map any route you want.

The HOG trip planner is pretty good also.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like BingMaps. Punch in start point and destination and it will highlight the route. Then zoom in and you can pan thru the route dragging the orginal higlighted route over to points or side roads you want to take and the higlighted route line will adjust automatically. Then i print out a few zoomed views. Pack the printouts and review each morning for the area you are in for the day.
My favorite rides have been to check the radar map each day and head for sunshine!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the HOG maps ride planner for a few trips, and it's worked pretty good. I like the idea that Google has where you can drag the road though to make a change. I'm going to check into that. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,459 Likes on 2,781 Posts
Default Good route

I agree with everyone on the best ways to create the route. I use Google Maps and then input destinations into my Garmin.

But I think you were also looking for a route. I live on Long Island and have done this trip to Myrtle twice. From NH not sure best route to New Jersey (though via LI ferry out of New London, CT might be a good choice) but this is how I did it from NJ.

Take the Garden State Parkway to Cape May, NJ. They have a great ferry to Lewes, De. Then shoot down 13 all the way to Chesapeake Bridge and Tunnel, right into Virginia Beach. From VB, just hop on 17 south until you are in Myrtle Beach.

Decent roads with not too much stop and go but also not like being on I-95. GSP in Jersey is a nice tree lined road, very good as highways go.