Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:44 PM
mndemohead
|
Tourer
Default Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Heres the deal, Im ready to trade in my 05 R.K. on a new S.G., however I do alot (maybe too much) reading online and am just about sick to my stomach over all of the negative posts I see on the new Harleys. I know some guys are just fine with spending $20,000 on something and have it make rattles, noises, things breaking, coming loose etc. And they think its o.k., however I am from the school that if you spend $20,000 on a motorcycle (give or take) you better get several years and many, many miles of trouble free service out of it. All in All every bike I have boughten thus far (all Harleys) have been relatively good to me, but with all of the things going wrong I am seeing on this sight Im down right scared to death of buying a new bike from H.D. Now here is my question, Is it the fact that we are only hearing from the people who are having problems with their bikes, and people who are not having problems are not posting, or are the new H.D.'s just plain junk? I cant pictue me ever riding anything other than a Harley, ( I cant switch brands now, what would I do with my H.D. tatoos? ) but I also cant picture me spending this kind of money on something that I cant depend on either. Id like to hear from some people who bought 07 bikes and arent having ANY issues with them. To me a noise in the trans is not normal, dont care who says it is, and a bike running soo hot that it burns the inside of your legs also is not only not normal, but not safe. I know the overheating is from the emissions and is fixed by spending several hundred more dollars. I guess my feeling is that I shouldnt have to spend money on a PCIII and exhaust to make it run like it should. I just cant believe H.D. did all of the homework they should had before releasing these bikes. Someone please help me before all of my faith in the Moco is gone???

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:58 PM
radrex
Cruiser
Default RE: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

I think - being the new owner of an 07 ultra - I'd just ride that Road King till next summer and see what happens with these 07s.

The quality on mine is OK - but I kinda wish I'd have gotten an 06 - The 6 speed is really tall - and pretty worthless at speeds under 75mph. It does make more racket than an 06. Knocks like its throwing a rod when it gets hot in 5th and 6th. But the random clattering is gone for now.

I'm gonna get some pipes and the PCIII and we'll see. But forewarned is foretold... They are selling them as fast as they can make them.

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:20 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain

I've had ZERO issues with my 07 SE Road King.

My 06 Street Glide makes more noises then the 07.

If you are that worried wait until 08. Personally, I'm very happy I didn't wait.

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Theyre are many here w/the noise issue and many here just reading from other sites.When you are logged in check the top of say the trans thread and see who is logged on,with no replys,from areas HD is located esp in the early morning or late night hrs.With a new model you can expect troubles.This yrs has many concerned while others have none.HD usually takes care of the problems down the road yet some of this yrs woes {knocks}may have to be addessed by aftermarket due to EPA regs.If it truely is a fueling problem.Touring line seems to have the biggest bitch with this.Dont expect any help from your dealer,MOCO if you get one of these,they havent yet an answer.Time is still young for this new yr and waiting may be a good option if you have seconds thoughts.No problem bikes have been made and the majority here are in that boat.The other HD line ups seem fine.Its your call.

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:33 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

I have ordered a new 07 SG, I also live in Canada, and all the guys I have talked to around here with new 07 bikes have had zero concerns. So I quess I will find out in about a week or 2 if the bike is good or not. Mind you its getting cold here now and might not get to ride till spring now[]

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:39 PM
mtpoland
Cruiser

I've had a couple of problems including the 5th gear noise, the rear brake squeek and having a serious engine breakdown that left me on the side of the road. A crankshaft position sensor failed and the motor died leaving me stranded on the Interstate in New Orleans East at 10pm. All I can say for now is that the dealer took care of eveything less the tranny noise and the brake squeek and I wouldn't trade my bike for anything. I've got 2500 miles on it now and the tranny noise is almost gone, the rear brake squeek is not as noticable and this thing has got all kinds of power.
I'm glad I got the '07.

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:46 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

07 street glide , great bike , love it ! Runs fast and strong . As with any new bike needs better {louder} pipes . Dont worry about the few that post in here over and over again with problems . Still no breakdowns at all that I heard of , actally it is starting to get old after reading the same b.s. over and over again . I think the 6 speed is great , a lot of guys think you have to go through all the gears at low speeds and dont like it , I dont get it but whatever , I am very happy with mine..

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

HD quality and engineering does leave something to be desired....there is no real doubt about that! Sure, you can leave a bike with it's stock running configuration, cheating yourself with restricted performance....NO QUESTION ABOUT IT. Air/exhaust upgrades, along with a tuned PCIII may be the most proven/effective way to unleash that performance potential!

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:59 PM
devobail
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine broke down 2 days and 117 miles off the showroom floor. The dealer that sold it to me blew me off, so its getting fixed elsewhere. The new dealer will be getting the cash from the 2-3 thousand dollars worth of stuff I got on my wishlist.

Old 10-18-2006 | 09:13 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

You forgot to mention oil leaks in the list of problems. No way I would consider dumping a good running 2005 for a new 2007.......yet. Ride the 2005 to the grave, then buy a new one. You will be able to get a good deal on a 2007 model, in Oct 2007. You would think they would have all the quality problems resolved in the 103 years of building bikes.

Quick Reply: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??