Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 10:04 PM
fasthd06
Intermediate
Default RE: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Where did you get the stickers from bounty ? are they static stickers or glue?
ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

HD quality and engineering does leave something to be desired....there is no real doubt about that! Sure, you can leave a bike with it's stock running configuration, cheating yourself with restricted performance....NO QUESTION ABOUT IT. Air/exhaust upgrades, along with a tuned PCIII may be the most proven/effective way to unleash that performance potential!

Old 10-19-2006 | 11:08 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

What dealer do you work for??? Most problems show up in the first year of any no product no matter how hard they try they really cannot simulate the every day riding conditions and the problems that will be encountered we all have our own opinions but from past experiences with first year products there are always changes to make it better sometimes its major. Had a biker pull up on a brand new screamin eagle road king the other day the bike was shaking like it had parkinsons it did not impress me at all. I am not saying Harley will not fix a problem but the hassles with dealers especially if its there busy season can take its toll I have seen Harley take a problem send out a bulletin saying its normal and end of problem. Its your money you can spend it any way you please but this is a year they would never get mine

Old 10-19-2006 | 11:36 PM
mndemohead
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the input, but I have decided I am going to give the Road King another year. By then it will have 50,000 miles on it and who knows, maybe I will keep it and buy a new one. For those of you who say "its a lifestyle, expect breakdowns, its the image blah blah blah, Dont give me this ****. If you ride a Harley strictly for the "image", then you are missing what Harley Ownership is all about. I could care less what the guy sitting next to me in traffic is thinking about me, he may like my bike, he may not, I could care less. But the truth is the days of the long haired biker that wanders aimlessly threw life on an old pan head are long gone. Sure there are still a few, but its a dying breed. Hell, I WISH I could live that way!!, but there is a whole new breed of biker now. I ride more than my share of miles and I guess you can say I "live the lifestyle", me and the wife spend more on our 2 bikes than we have spent on the last 5 cars we have owned combined, we dont miss a poker run or bike rally, We have ridden our H.D.'s in more states than I can count. so yeah, I know what Harleys are all about, but thats not what its all about to me. Im a blue collar guy that earns EVERY dollar I make, and im not about to dump $20,000 dollars on anything that is in my opinion questionable in quality. I have also had my share of problems with the customer service that the MoCo has given me. I've had two R.K.'s and my first one was a lemon and The MoCo, could have cared less, my bike sat in the dealership for over a month during prime riding season, and after many days of pulling my hair out, my DEALER finally bought the bike back, not the MoCo. I still have faith in this company, and maybe I am being overly concerned, but I have been in the Problem Bike Club, and its not a fun place to be. Hopefully next year at this time we are all looking back at the 07's and all of these negative posts are long gone. Again thanks for the input.

Old 10-20-2006 | 03:08 AM
HawgDoc
6th Gear

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY '07 FLHX

Old 10-20-2006 | 07:00 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I Love My 07 RG

Old 10-20-2006 | 08:29 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

I am a happy 07 Ultra owner. This is my 7th bike 5 of them were Harleys (93 and 94 Sportsters, a 2003 Low Rider and a 2003 Dyna). My bike doesn't clatter, I can't really hear any whine in 5th and I have had no problems. I do wish it wasn't quite so hot on my right leg when I am stopped but it is tolerable. I have however noticed that the motor makes some noise in 4th, 5th and 6th when I am at or under 2000 RPM, but all my other bikes did the same thing. I have cruised for hours in 6th at 65 MPH and got somewhere around 40-42 MPG. I am sure there are problems with some of the bikes and I am truly confident that they will be taken care of. I would buy another one in a second. I don't work for the MOCO or a dealer, I am jsut a hppy guy on my bike.

Old 11-26-2006 | 10:36 AM
HDJoe
Intermediate

For what its worth here's my two cents on the 07's. I just bought a 2007 Road King (MY first Harley) I traded in a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad in for it. Took a big hit on trade in value. Yea, I know I should have sold it out right. But who's looking for metric bikes? Anyway I noticed a lot of heat at first from my RK but it seems to be getting better the more miles I put on. Must be the break in period. It really isn't a big issue with me as my Nomad was water ccoled but when the fan came on it was as hot or hotter then the RK. As far as engine noise both bikes sounded like there were a bunch of marbles in them. And yes the 5th gear in the RK is noisy but to be honest it doesn't bother me. Actually lets me know when I'm in that gear. The bike is new and I only have 700 miles on it. No problems. I've had nothing but Japanese bikes since 1968 and by far this RK is the best.

Old 11-26-2006 | 11:03 AM
ffb
Tourer

got my 07 sg in october and only have approx. 1500 miles on it ( lots of traveling ,no time to ride ), 300 yesterday ,and ,knock on wood, no problems and runs great .
no noises except as posted elsewhere in hd forum, a loud hum when in 6th gear below 2500 rpm .othewrwise all ok.
traded in a moto guzzi lemans on this looking for more dealers and higher quality.
try a guzzi sometime and you willl adore hd quality.

NOW , THIS RECALL THING ????

awaiting for details from my dealer .

Old 11-26-2006 | 11:24 AM
ndotken
Road Captain

I wasn't very happy with my '07 RKC when I drove it home in September. The bike seemed grossly underpowered, had a loud clatter after it warmed up, and rode hot as blue blazes. 6th gear was pretty much un-usable. And yes, the 5th gear whining was annoying, but I know thats the straight cut gear and I can get used to that.

The dealer had no answers for any of the problems other than "oh that's normal ... wait until after the first of the year and HD will probably have something out to help you on a Stage 1 upgrade." I'm convinced that if you're looking for answers from the dealers, you won't find them. They are married to HD and HD's hands are tied by the EPA. I decided the dealer was no help so I did my own Stage 1 with a PCIII with the O2 eliminators, SE AC and pipes.

I am now very happy with my RKC. The fit and finish is better than you will find on any metric. The clatter noise is gone (or at least I can't hear it over the exhaust). The bike rides and handles beautifully. And now that the EPA crap has been modified, it has way more than enough power. 6th gear is a wonderful addition for highway riding. I can easily cruise in 6th gear at 65mph and the bike still jumps when I give the throttle a small twist. The Stage 1 upgrade cost me about $800 and about 3 hours of my time ... well worth it. Now I wouldn't trade you my RKC for two Goldwings, a Road Star and a Vulcan.

Old 11-26-2006 | 12:16 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Madav8tr
If you want to spend 20K on a bike and have ZERO worry's, may I suggest something along the line of a Honda Goldwing?
May ah suggest ya NOT? Ah've owned 4 Wings since '96, runnin' up over 130,000 miles or so on 'em. The '96 an' '98 were PRETTY bulletproof (other than bad alternators), but the '03 wuz a POS IMO. Ya'll complain about mapping recalls - try a FRAME recall - where all Honda wuz willin' ta do wuz grind and reweld on a powder-coated aluminum frame! Wanna guess what's no longer powder coated, an' now open ta corrossion? Let's not talk about the brake recall, the ECM recall, the kill switch recall, the saddlebag latch issues, the helmet hanger release debacle......etc., etc., etc. This ain't ta bash Wings - but it IS intended to point out that EVERYONE can have recalls and glitches - these machines are a LOT more complex than they were many years ago. Ultimately what got me off the Wing was ongoing concern re. the frame - and Honda's increasing trend towards denying claims which would never have been questioned all that many years ago.

Mah 3 week-old UC now has 'bout 1100 miles on it, an' frankly ah'm lovin' it!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19857/292395100C844454A8C0B0C77147BA96.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??