Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006 | 11:17 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??

Forums are terrible places to form opinions regarding issues with any product, including motorcycles. Imagine being an alien landing for the first time at a large hospital and wondering if earth isn't full of sick, dying people. People who don't have issues seldom write or even check into to these buckets of complaints. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate buying an '07 from a good dealer. Dealers are very aware of any potential problems and will usually go the extra mile to keep a good customer. Buy it and forget all the complaints - I'll bet you'll be back here telling everyone what a great bike the street glide is. It's probably my next bike.

Old 10-19-2006 | 12:26 AM
ditrina
Intermediate

[font="Tahoma"]O.K. folks
Here the straight stuff on the Harley '07 5th gear noise ( yes I have accress to the HD service bulletins ) the 5th gear "noise" is caused by the "cut" of the gear.. yes it is different..
and I suppose it might be annoying to some, BUT there is nothing wrong with the tranny, and no it will not blow up.. and it runs just fine. As for the heat question it was the same story with the twin cam 88's.. remember Harley-Davidson is a air cooled engine and the Motor company must comply with the ALL POWERFUL EPA.. and trust me the EPA is getting tougher each year.. There is NO room for questioning the EPA. So much so the the motor company has stopped selling S/E II exhaust systems, what ever is in the dealers current stock is ALL THERE IS.
It is as frustrating for the dealers as well as the riders.
As for the quality if you have the chance PLEASE take a tour of one of the factories..

Respectfully,
Ditrina

Old 10-19-2006 | 12:50 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Count the number of people posting about the complaints, not the number of posts. Most post the same thing over, and over, and over. Compared to the number of forum members, very few are complaining.

Old 10-19-2006 | 12:58 AM
Easyglide
Tourer

1800 miles and going on my 07 Electra Glide. No problems.

Old 10-19-2006 | 01:10 AM
lilarlen
Cruiser

This is just like everything else, on a forum you here about the problems because people are looking for some kind of input the help them out or to just blow off some steam.

If you want to buy... jump in, life is to short!

Little Arlen

Old 10-19-2006 | 02:05 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KeithB

You hear alot more from those who have problems, the guys that don't don't usally say anything, so it can sound like alot more than it really is.
That may be true but think of all the people out there with 07's that don't even know about this forum and who have problems like the clattering. I ran into one 2 weeks ago at my stealership and commented on the color of his 07' Ultra and asked how he liked it. He said it was OK but he was there that day because of the whining noise and rattling sound coming from what he thought was his tranny. The dealer of course gave standard answer #1, they all do it and it's normal. I told him about this forum and he already figured the dealer was giving him a line of BS and he was going to check the forum out when he got home.

Old 10-19-2006 | 02:13 AM
eddybo69
Road Master

I am going to buy 2 more 07s in Jan. The quality of my 07 is great.

Old 10-19-2006 | 02:23 AM
natewat
Road Captain

I bought my first HD September 7, 2006. 1330 miles so far and no major problems. At the 1000 mile check up I did have a deal with the neutral light staying on in gears 1-5 but my dealer fixed it under warrantee no questions asked.

Yes, my tranny makes a whining sound in 5th gear and yes it runs hot. My last bike, a V-Star 1100 had some noises too but it took me 21000 miles noises and all. When I bought this bike I planned on changing out the exhaust/intake and that will eliminate the heat deal.

All and all I am very satisfied with my 07 Ultra. [sm=shades.gif]

Old 10-19-2006 | 03:11 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

Not that I am in the market for a 07 at all, but having owned a number of Harleys beginning with the 1956 Hydra Glide, I think my 02 is just the best thing I have ever owned and that includes 10 years on a Honda Aspencade and 4 years on a BMW. At 49,000 miles it is running just beautifully. In my experience, the longer you own one the more satisfaction you get with it. Heat issues? Heck, it isn't broken in until 10,000 miles! Tranny noise? My 02 whines a little in fourth, so okay it whines. Cam tensioner shoes, yep it wore 'em out at 44,000 miles. Other issues? none at all.

It is too soon for the 07's to show their true potential. No one has 10,000 miles on them yet. I would be willing to bet that the 5th gear noise will be soon forgotten and the heat issues will go away once the engine is well broke in.[8D]

Old 10-19-2006 | 09:41 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Bought my first HD in march.It has 6000 miles on the clock.Except for a couple minor issues(bad fuel gauge/float assy. and fairing molding),the bike runs great.
My previous bike was a 2001 Roadstar.It had more problems.Had to replace the lifters,headlight rattle, front caliper clearance problem and oil blow by.
Yes the Roadstar was about 1/2 the price of the Road Glide,but I can tell you the Road Glide is superior in handling,comfort and power.

Quick Reply: Is H.D. Quality in the tank, or ??