Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Road Road Glide - Wind Buffeting Advise..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
hdman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 RG custom, Vivid black..... I put a 12in wind vest smoke and it does the job for me. I am 5 10 with 31 inseam. I look over the shield and the flip up edge throws the wind over my head.... I have a corbin solo seat.... Dont know how this set up would work for a passenger................hdman

Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I'm in for the 12" Windvest as well.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Humm...Not the case here. Although for me it doesn't stop "wind". It stops the wa-ba-wa-ba-baaa of the air coming over the top of the windshield.
lp, I've taken them off and on and I just can't tell any difference. It's probably due to the HUGE amounts of air blowing up from the ground. I just got back from a 800 mile run to Texas Hill Country and I was ready to get off after 200 miles. I can usually do 800 miles a day but this Road Glide beats me to death with the wind and poor suspension!

I'm seriously considering dumping it and changing teams.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

There are several things which get in the way of getting rid of the inherant buffeting that most riders of the FLRT experience.This first thing is the cool factor. When a Road Glide is setting on the show room floor with it's factory installed short cool windscreen, it looks very appealing. Unfortunately, on the ride home most riders will think to themselves "what the hell is wrong here, my head is being thrown about like a german sheppard with a ragdoll". If you were a real short person whos head did not stick up much, the cool windscreen would work. But, you don't see many short RG riders because if they were that short in the leg department, there is no way in hell they could hold the bike up!

So, if you are really wanting to get rid of a lot of the head buffeting, you have to raise up the windscreen...a bunch. Somewhere between 16" and 18" works best for most. Decide if you want to look through the windscreen or over it. If you decide you want to look through the windscreen you will have the best results because it will be taller and will naturally shield you from more wind. You won't look as cool but you will enjoy the ride much more. You can turn down your stereo to about half level when cruising at 70 mph with a nice tall windshield too. I had my Clearview shield made at 17 1/2" tall and after 40,000 miles I can truthfully say I have never been hit in the face by a bug, rock or anything. I am 6' tall and prefer to look through the shield. There are other brands out there but I can not recommend any of them because I have never owned them.

The second thing that needs to be added is a set of hard lowers. They can be either the Harley brand or the HoggChopps brand. The second is cheaper and for most of us, just as good. By raising the windscreen/windshield and mounting a set of lowers you will have done about as much as you can do. The air deflectors that mount on the crash bars for $30.00 and change don't do a whole lot except help defray the cost of college of your local stealer's children.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
lp, I've taken them off and on and I just can't tell any difference. It's probably due to the HUGE amounts of air blowing up from the ground. I just got back from a 800 mile run to Texas Hill Country and I was ready to get off after 200 miles. I can usually do 800 miles a day but this Road Glide beats me to death with the wind and poor suspension!

I'm seriously considering dumping it and changing teams.
I hear ya. I did get a set of lowers and that helped a ton. For me it's the Winters that are the problem. I maybe did 600 miles in the last 4-5 months. In the summer I don't mind all the wind I can handle but in the Winters there really is no comfy "pocket" to stay warm in and enjoy. Handling and all is great no matter what, just no pocket. I'll live I guess.

Forgot to mention Sancho's Wings. Those things are great for knocking the wind DOWN around your legs. It keeps all the wind off your chest. Only thing is I don't like the look. So I'm waiting on other Aftermarket or the MOCO to come up with an integrated "side deflector" that does the same.

Kinda a pain in the *** having to do all this, but you know, I love the bike. Guess it's worth it.

lp

Last edited by lp; 04-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Great looking bike Brett... the Red lowers with black forks and pipes looks sharp.

lp

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bug deflector that comes on the RGC is completely useless. I felt like someone was sitting behind me beating my ears with ping pong paddles. I could't even hear the radio on the highway. Anyone that uses that shield must go over 20MPH. First day, I put on the 8" Klock Werks windshield, I don't need to block all the wind, 12" might be better in cold weather for me.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"

I'm 5'8" and look completely over this wind screen

for some reason I only occasionally get buffeting over 60 mph (?)

not sure if a taller one would be better for wind and or visibility - I know I don't want to see through it ... the wind goes over my eyes with my current set up (sorta hits the forehead (+-) area

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/fltr_ssc_ws.html

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; 04-05-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.. So is it safe to say that the RG has more of a problem with buffeting on a low profile shield than the SG with say a 7" flip shield? It is pretty tough to swallow the look of a RG with a big windshield, I'm sorry.. I often don't care too much about looks, but I can kind of see how many are choosing the SG these days with the mid size shield than some of the RG's with the big shield.. I mean, I understand the handling aspect, it is quite a noticeable difference.. But is it a world of a difference, I'd say no.. Maybe 20% better on the fun factor.. And with the new frame, I think the shudder at high speeds is limited now on the SG, at least that's what I kind of felt.. just my .02 cents..

Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
transguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for the( girls bike), forget about the wind & enjoy that fla sun!! just ride.

Quick Reply: Test Road Road Glide - Wind Buffeting Advise..