Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
gtbiker81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Aftermarket Speakers

I just picked up my first Harley - A 2011 Road Glide Custom, 103ci, Sedona Orange. I love everything about the bike, well almost. The speakers suck! I have a whopping 85 miles on the bike and cant stand the crackling stock speakers.

Having said that i have been doing some reading about speaker upgrades... there is a lot of info out there, maybe too much.

I'm looking for info on the best sounding speakers to replace the stock. I dont want to add an amp at this time - though maybe in the future. I'm looking at the J&M 7.25" kit as well as the HogTunes 5x7.

The 7.25" seems better at first glance but they offer less warranty 2 years vs. 20 years. I also realize the stock head unit might be a little weak for them big 7.25" speakers but like i said i do see an amp in the future just not yet.

Does anyone know any specs on the HK head unit?

Thanks in advance for everyones help!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a subjective question. There's been much debate about which is "best". You need to listen for yerself and decide.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
That's a subjective question. There's been much debate about which is "best". You need to listen for yerself and decide.

I some what agree but after going through several sets of speakers on my street glide and never getting the sound I wanted when I upgraded the speakers on my Road Glide I upped the ante and went with a J&M set up with amp and couldn't be happier. Amp makes a HUGE difference so you definitely want a amp.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with Hawg Wired. Not cheap but a very nice product.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
gtbiker81
6th Gear

I understand anything to do with "sound" and "looks" is subjective. I dont know anyone else with a touring bike let alone one with upgraded audio. I'm intersted in being able to hear the tunes while crusing. I realize its a bike in the open air and will never get the sound of a car audio system. If whats best isnt something that can be suggested can anyone maybe offer up some pros and cons to each or any other system someone might have had luck with.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't go wrong with the arc amp. Many other companies use it and just set it up for you then call it their own. Get some adapter rings and go with 6.5" speakers. I would strongly recommend going to some bike nights or shop events and listening to some systems. I personally think motorcycle specific systems are overpriced but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM
PoppaEvil
Intermediate

gt,

For every person that says one brand of speakers is super, there is another that says a different label is smokin' hot.

New technology is rapidly emerging with respect to bikes and speaker systems. From 6x9's speaker lid setups to 7.25 subs to 5.25 stock sizes, as well as Rockford Fosgate mini amps that are right on the horizon, and little feedback is available on them. The market is expanding and makes the choices unlimited for bikers.

I encourage you to go out to some bike nights in and around your area if possible, or ask your dealer(s) if you can listen to some of the other bikes that are in their shop for service and repair and judge for yourself. It is much different cruising down the freeway with the headwind than just listening while soaping up the bike pushing a tall one back getting ready for the eve'.

Windshields will play a role in how one will hear the music while cruising which is another aspect to keep in mind. Road Glide is an awesome bike and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for, don't skimp and you won't have buyer's remorse in the end.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had hog tunes on 2 other bikes ,they were nice but sounded better on pre HK head units ,on my 2011 I went with the HD boom audio and am pretty happy so far. And a friend liked mine enough that he got a set also.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy
I have had hog tunes on 2 other bikes ,they were nice but sounded better on pre HK head units ,on my 2011 I went with the HD boom audio and am pretty happy so far. And a friend liked mine enough that he got a set also.

Throw an amp on them and they sound even better.Hard for me to believe the MoCo has such a great sounding speaker and there price is very reasonable.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley Boom speakers, low cost and great sound !

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Speakers