Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Speakers vs Boom! audio on a CVO RoadGlide

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
The foam was not present with the Boom! speakers. I applied it when I did the J&M speaker installation.

Big 6x6...These were the Standard J&M 71/2" speakers. NOT the Rokkers. I believe that JohnnyBoy is testing the ROkkers and is posting in the audio forum.

Bowa...If I had to lay down my cash I think I would go for the J&M system. While the front speakers are very comparable between the two brands, The rear speakers are no contest. And as a 4 speaker system I think the J&M's provide a better soundstage. Not sure what Dr V-twin sells the J&M's for, but if he can reduce the price difference, it makes it an easy choice. But I would say that you would certainly be pleased with either system.

Joe...I believe J&M sells the foam pads separately. Give Dr V-Twin a call and see what he can do for you.

And again, this test was on my CVO, which has the Harley 4 channel amp mounted under the tour pak. If you are just running the stock HK head unit, you will get different results.
Thanks for the reply. I'd be interested to see what you thought of the Booms with the foam in. I have the JM's and never heard the Booms so I'm not making a pitch for them, just making a point that the test environments weren't exactly on the same level. I'm just wondering if someone with Booms put $35 of foam in the fairing could take them to the next level. Thanks again for posting your results.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
I never have to go over 50% volume on mine....and if I do, they start to distort unless I take out some bass and add treble
~Joe
Distorting at volume is usually not the speakers fault, it is the head unit running out of power.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You can read the other comparison with the Rokkers here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...nd-review.html

Drew

Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Distorting at volume is usually not the speakers fault, it is the head unit running out of power.
Good to know...thanks.

Mid volume is nice and crisp, and plenty loud enough. I went past it only to see if it does distort...on mine it distorts about 60% and higher.

Again....don't need that much volume. I suppose if I had loud pipes, I would probably have to amp it up to get the sound back.

Lucky for me I like my pipes and my Booms.

Might be intersted in the foam...problem is, if it's made for the J&M's and they are larger than my booms, it won't work.

Oh well....I'm happy where I am at.

~Joe

Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowa18
I have to disagree. If you want the "same test environments" then foam needs to be present in both tests to make things truly equal. Foam definitely enhances the sound. I have the J & M 7.25's in my Ultra and like them so I'm not trying to knock them... but fair is fair in my world.

I hear what your saying about having the foam in the fairing to help insulate the sound of the fairing speakers. I agree with you that the foam makes a difference, no argument there.

My only point is that the "comparison test" was conducted in an "as it comes" enviroment. Meaning... nothing was added from "outside" to the given speaker set-up. When you buy J&M's speaker kit, it comes with 7.25" drivers and foam insulation for the fairing. I don't have to mod the stock speaker cutouts for the bigger drivers, and I didn't buy the foam seperately. The CVO test bike was "as it comes" from the factory. H-D doesn't provide foam insulation in the fairing (maybe they should?), so to go out and buy it to add to the bike/speaker set-up is an "addition to". If these comparisions are allowed to "add from the outside" to attempt to level the field, well ...there would be no end to that. Then you end-up with a system like Glacierpearl's set-up. I'm just looking at it from an "over the counter"/"plug and play", "bike audio kit" perspective. Of course it would be easy enough to add all sorts of "addtional" insulation, amperage, drivers,etc to a bike to get better sound. But where does it end? Glacierpearl has a sweet audio set-up on his bike, but it's not what I'm looking for on my bike.

I'm not preaching J&M Audio here either ...you can get flamed pretty hard for doing that around here. I'm certain there are plenty of decent speaker systems out there. However, I do run J&M Audio on my bike and I think it sounds a hell of a lot better than the stock set-up on my 2010 SG. Personally, I believe power (amps) is the key to better/louder music at speed on these bikes anyway.

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 04-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Traveler,
The foam isn't made for the speakers and shouldn't have any bearing on which speakers you have. It is cut to fit the inside of the fairing and attaches with a sticky backing layer. Unless you are running some exotic set of speakers that are uber-deep or large, the J&M foam pads should fit just fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AK BAGGER
I hear what your saying about having the foam in the fairing to help insulate the sound of the fairing speakers. I agree with you that the foam makes a difference, no argument there.

My only point is that the "comparison test" was conducted in an "as it comes" enviroment. Meaning... nothing was added from "outside" to the given speaker set-up. When you buy J&M's speaker kit, it comes with 7.25" drivers and foam insulation for the fairing. I don't have to mod the stock speaker cutouts for the bigger drivers, and I didn't buy the foam seperately. The CVO test bike was "as it comes" from the factory. H-D doesn't provide foam insulation in the fairing (maybe they should?), so to go out and buy it to add to the bike/speaker set-up is an "addition to". If these comparisions are allowed to "add from the outside" to attempt to level the field, well ...there would be no end to that. Then you end-up with a system like Glacierpearl's set-up. I'm just looking at it from an "over the counter"/"plug and play", "bike audio kit" perspective. Of course it would be easy enough to add all sorts of "addtional" insulation, amperage, drivers,etc to a bike to get better sound. But where does it end? Glacierpearl has a sweet audio set-up on his bike, but it's not what I'm looking for on my bike.

I'm not preaching J&M Audio here either ...you can get flamed pretty hard for doing that around here. I'm certain there are plenty of decent speaker systems out there. However, I do run J&M Audio on my bike and I think it sounds a hell of a lot better than the stock set-up on my 2010 SG. Personally, I believe power (amps) is the key to better/louder music at speed on these bikes anyway.
I can understand your argument as well. I guess I was trying to make the point that guys with Booms could possibly get close to or the same performance out of their speakers at a reasonable cost just by adding foam (not really sure how they compare with or without foam). I do agree when you're comparing speaker price that the J & M's price isn't just for two speakers, the foam is $35 and the adapters (gotta have them if you want bigger speakers) is factored in to the price as well. So the actual price for the speakers is closer to the Boom's price. I'm just curious what the OP's impression of the Boom's would be with foam. No biggie.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bowa18
I can understand your argument as well. I guess I was trying to make the point that guys with Booms could possibly get close to or the same performance out of their speakers at a reasonable cost just by adding foam (not really sure how they compare with or without foam). I do agree when you're comparing speaker price that the J & M's price isn't just for two speakers, the foam is $35 and the adapters (gotta have them if you want bigger speakers) is factored in to the price as well. So the actual price for the speakers is closer to the Boom's price. I'm just curious what the OP's impression of the Boom's would be with foam. No biggie.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But with MSRP's of $149.95 for the Boom! and $249.95 for the J&M kit including the foam pads I might have to call it a draw. The J&M speaker kit sounds slightly better, is well engineered with excellent fit and finish, but that is a big price premium to overcome.
I'm in the market for amp/speakers right now. I'll spend whatever it takes to get a really good system BUT, I want to get what I pay for..I've been thinking about this comparison. You know HONESTLY....a $250.00 speaker system should STOMP a $150.00 speaker system. The fact that a speaker system compares VERY favorably to a system costing 40% MORE, says a LOT about both systems, IMO!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
blkfalc4
Tourer

Most enjoy the Hertz, Arc setup. Probably the setup I'm gonna go with.

Do a search and you'll have more than enough to read.....

Quick Reply: J&M Speakers vs Boom! audio on a CVO RoadGlide