Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Bearings

I'm swapping out the stock wheels on my 2009 EG Ultra with ABS for chrome knuckles 28 spoke wheels and in the "Wheel installation kit" there are 2 different bearings, one for the ABS side I presume, but I don't know for sure which goes on which side.

The hub of the front wheel has one "deeper" side for the bearing and the service manual says nothing about that and I want to make sure I get the ABS sensor bearing in the correct side of the rim.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The abs bearing goes on the left side - groove inward.

don't quote me, but i believe the "deeper" side is the right side - maybe dawg will chime in

any arrows casted on rim?

Last edited by slothy; 04-04-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
isac
Road Master

Originally Posted by slothy
The abs bearing goes on the left side - groove inward.

don't quote me, but i believe the "deeper" side is the right side - maybe dawg will chime in

any arrows casted on rim?
I was looking for arrows or other signs too but nothing there....but it looks like the deeper side goes to the right. Damn.. I sold my old wheels to quick.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ABS bearing goes on the left side with the green/tan facing out. ABS bearing should be installed 1st

As for witch side of the rim is the left side. My 2011 28 spoke has some numbers casted in the right side T17x3.00 MT. The left (ABS) side has nothing.

Book also says keep the abs bearing away from any magnets such as parts tray.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by isac
I'm swapping out the stock wheels on my 2009 EG Ultra with ABS for chrome knuckles 28 spoke wheels and in the "Wheel installation kit" there are 2 different bearings, one for the ABS side I presume, but I don't know for sure which goes on which side.

The hub of the front wheel has one "deeper" side for the bearing and the service manual says nothing about that and I want to make sure I get the ABS sensor bearing in the correct side of the rim.

Thanks in advance.
i have a set of 09 wheels with ABS if your interested has the new front recall tire less then 200 miles on it. the rear one u will need to install a tire on it. just thought i would let u know make me a reasonable offer and there yours. by the way they are chrome spokes with the smoothie rim in great condition.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

ABS bearing is on the left side of the front wheel and the right side on the rear wheel.

Last edited by scj; 04-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SFinley70 (06-14-2020)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
isac
Road Master

UPDATE..

Thx for the replys guys.

So I have had quite the learning experience today.

The abs bearing goes on the left side,and the greenish tan side
out and the groove inward and fully seated in the hub as the service manual says

Contrary to popular belief, the hub on the front wheel is asymetrical and you have to make sure the "deeper" hole of the hub goes to the right and the bearing can only be knocked or pressed down against the spacer sleeve and can't be fully seated. And there is 3 different lengths of spacer sleeves supplied in the "wheel inst. kit" for the rear wheel and 2 for the front "wheel kit" which depends on the rims you have and if you get it wrong with the spacer sleeves the non ABS bearings will be seated to high or low in the hub

The shortest sleeves fits to the EG Wheels ( in my case) and the other 2 sleeves must be for the SG and RK rims , that´s what I belive anyway , otherwise I don't know ..... WTF and WTH... This should be mentioned in the service manual , but I do know now on my chromed 28 spoke EG wheels and hopefully this post will make a wheel swap easier for someone else.

PS:I will put the new wheels on the bike this weekend and take it for a spin to see if everything works ok

Last edited by isac; 04-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Homebrewed1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good information. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,906 Likes on 4,970 Posts

suscribe to this thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
slowburngooch
Intermediate

Sounds like you got 'er figured out. FWIW, if you're trying to figure out what side of the rim is what, the valve stems should be on the right.
Post some pics when you get it together!

Quick Reply: ABS Bearings