Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 03:36 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

All good points. I need to do the same probably, ie extra bolts n shaft. Breaking down sucks.

A few years back, I took my wife to dinner on my (no longer have) '07 sporty. Downshifting as I pulled into the restaurant parking lot, the shifter felt odd. When we parked I looked down to see what was up. The shifter peg was missing. We were meeting friends for dinner. Luckily we finished about 15 min before local (San Simeon, a small coastal town) hardware store closed, and they had the right sized bolt, 5/16" fine thread. So I bought a 2" (I think) bolt, nut, and a roll of electrical tape. The nut became a locknut and the tape was used to build up the bolt in place of the rubber OEM one. It was a Mc Giver job, but got us home. When I got the replacement peg from local dealer, the bolt and nut went into the saddlebags. So I get it. If that store had closed would have been a lot worse.

Last edited by handirifle; 09-08-2023 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mighty Eohippus (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 06:22 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,168 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
All good points. I need to do the same probably, ie extra bolts n shaft. Breaking down sucks.

A few years back, I took my wife to dinner on my (no longer have) '07 sporty. Downshifting as I pulled into the restaurant parking lot, the shifter felt odd. When we parked I looked down to see what was up. The shifter peg was missing. We were meeting friends for dinner. Luckily we finished about 15 min before local (San Simeon, a small coastal town) hardware store closed, and they had the right sized bolt, 5/16" fine thread. So I bought a 2" (I think) bolt, nut, and a roll of electrical tape. The nut became a locknut and the tape was used to build up the bolt in place of the rubber OEM one. It was a Mc Giver job, but got us home. When I got the replacement peg from local dealer, the bolt and nut went into the saddlebags. So I get it. If that store had closed would have been a lot worse.
I felt the bolt on my shift peg getting loose some years ago, and made a note to myself that I would tighten it & add Loctite when I got home.
Within 2 miles the bolt jumped free and I lost a Willie G shifter peg along the side of the freeway.

Luckily, my boots had a decent welt between the sole and the leather, which gave me just enough of a lip to hook under the shift arm for upshifting and I was able to catch the top edge of the arm for downshifting.
I now check these types of things frequently enough that if they are loose, I catch it before losing more parts on the road.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,754 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
nothing major, simple little cheap mod. picked up this $9 part from Chinazon
decent part for money
HD really cheaps out where they can on these expensive bikes! simple mod, I like simple
I installed these from Softbrake a year ago and they work great keeping the shifter from developing slop.

07UltraGuy (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:35 PM
Mighty Eohippus
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

How does the soft brakes spring bushing work? I’ve googled to no avail. Is it hollow? Does it replace the rubber “bushing” between the case and the toe shifter or is it a cap that fits on the end of the shaft where the heel (outer) shifter would go?

Old 09-08-2023, 09:00 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mighty Eohippus
How does the soft brakes spring bushing work? I’ve googled to no avail. Is it hollow? Does it replace the rubber “bushing” between the case and the toe shifter or is it a cap that fits on the end of the shaft where the heel (outer) shifter would go?
Yes sir it replaces the rubber spacer HD gives us. The short one is for the two shift pedal setup and the extended one is for the single pedal. The spring goes towards the case and keeps some tension on the pedal. Here's their link.
https://softbrake.com/shift-levers-accessories/

Old 09-08-2023, 09:21 PM
Mighty Eohippus
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks! Do you worry about the spring marring the case? Not for looks, but gouging it ? Also, is the spring captive on the pedal shift end or can it slide in and out either way? That is is there tension on the engine case end AND the shifter or just the case?

Last edited by Mighty Eohippus; 09-08-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:48 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Thanks! Do you worry about the spring marring the case? Not for looks, but gouging it ? Also, is the spring captive on the pedal shift end or can it slide in and out either way? That is is there tension on the engine case end AND the shifter or just the case?
I'm not worried about the case at all. The spring tension is nominal and just enough to keep things tight. The end of the spring housing/spacer facing the pedal is captive enough to retain the spring and the end facing the case is open. I have two of the extended ones and I realized I need a short one for my SGS so my order is going in.

Mighty Eohippus (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 04:26 AM
bert111bel
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
TY

Old 09-09-2023, 12:12 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Thanks! Do you worry about the spring marring the case?
Hey Mighty here is the extended Soft Brake spring loaded spacer in black installed on my 20RKS.

Mighty Eohippus (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 12:35 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,168 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Hey Mighty here is the extended Soft Brake spring loaded spacer in black installed on my 20RKS.
And here I thought this was intended to go on the shift shaft to replace the rubber sleeve that goes between the shift arm and the tab on the inner primary...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?