Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 05:27 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,168 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I'm interested to see how long the anodizing holds up. The part does certainly look better.
It sure does.
My experience w/ anodized coatings and UV rays have always been disappointing.
If you clear coat it, or even get them clear powder coated, they tend to last quite a bit longer, but still not as long as a painted or straight powder coated part.

I suspect that the top of that spacer will appear more brown than black by year's end.

The following users liked this post:
scott_0 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:40 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
It sure does.
My experience w/ anodized coatings and UV rays have always been disappointing.
If you clear coat it, or even get them clear powder coated, they tend to last quite a bit longer, but still not as long as a painted or straight powder coated part.

I suspect that the top of that spacer will appear more brown than black by year's end.
I agree, I'll paint it or buy another, they're cheap enough...

The following 2 users liked this post by scott_0:
07UltraGuy (09-07-2023), NoRegerts (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:09 AM
bert111bel
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
nothing major, simple little cheap mod. picked up this $9 part from Chinazon

decent part for money

HD really cheaps out where they can on these expensive bikes!

simple mod, I like simple
can you put the link ? TY

Old 09-08-2023, 07:43 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by bert111bel
can you put the link ? TY
here you go!

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-08-2023, 11:28 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,210 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I'm interested to see how long the anodizing holds up. The part does certainly look better.
I went back an forth on those, and also have had some anodizing turn copper colored. I bought what I hope was a decent one, the Accutronix, I believe is the part they cloned for the Amazon part.

Ano looks good so far on it.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:58 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I went back an forth on those, and also have had some anodizing turn copper colored. I bought what I hope was a decent one, the Accutronix, I believe is the part they cloned for the Amazon part.

Ano looks good so far on it.
The parts on my bars are anodized, and I have had many years of color retention from parts in the sun if the job was done well. The part itself with be fine, but the coating can diminish. Then, just PC it and be done.

The wheels on my Springer are over 10 years old and they look as good as the day I got them, so it can hold up.

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (09-09-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:58 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Does anyone know what size allen for the bolt that holds the inner shift lever on is? The lever between the primary and transmission. I feel some side to side and want to tighten it up.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:38 PM
Mighty Eohippus
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

Same as the front inner one, if that helps. The inner and the rear take a bigger one. The toe/heel shifter takes 1/4". Process of elimination.

If I recall, it's about 18-22 ft lbs on the trans end and the front INNER end. The shifter itself is 90-110 INCH lbs. You may want to grease the threads of the bolt to reduce the chance of stripping the shifter. Once it's loose, the shifter won't ever be the same again (in the front). Change it out as it will likely fail. The shift shaft is harder steel than the shifter rods themselves, those are what strips. I ran a grade 8 bolt and a nyloc nut on my front ends and don't rely on the shifter threads.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:14 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Yea I have done it before and forgot what size. Its s matter of laziness, lol. Bike is in garage, but most of my tools are in my workshop about 35 yds away. So its usually grab the set and walk, or run the bike into the shop, which means moving my truck that is parked in front of my shop, lol.

Like I said, laziness. Thanks for the good info. Pretty sure the bolt/nut combo is shifter since you could probably never get a nut on anything on the inner one.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:41 PM
Mighty Eohippus
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes sir, the shifter. Not sure if you can even nut and bolt the rear. I did the front. There's so much cross terminology with the shifter, shift rod, and the related bolts it gets confusing.... the bolts I bought at Harley because they were 67 cents. I swear the cheapest thing I've EVER bought from a dealer. I keep two now in my saddlebag, as well as a spare shift "shaft" for the front.

My shifter shaft lever (front thank God) stripped out a couple months back a few states from home. The inner shift arm **** the bed. TIP*** the shaft is reversible. You will lose your heel shifter if you have one for the time being, but I pulled it, swapped it around, stuffed a shim off a PBR can from the trash nearby. It held fine until I could pick one up from a dealer in Cincinatti later that day. I was sweating every shift. I now carry a spare shaft. Also, I replaced the shift rod linkage with Amazon's finest which does have heim joints.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?