Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 03:25 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by rideonva
A good reminder to those of us who do our own service that tires inspection shouldn’t be skipped. My rear tire (original) become pretty “squared”, also found multiple cracks, not deep but still.
Hey Rideon what tire did you choose as a replacement?

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:30 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

A good reminder to those of us who do our own service that tires inspection shouldn’t be skipped. My rear tire (original) become pretty “squared”, also found multiple cracks, not deep but still.
More and and more these stock Dunlops are concerning.

NoRegerts (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:32 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Ive got Dunlop AE, since it had pretty good reviews from people here, for both front and back. Waiting on replacement duck head for rabaconda (which I’ve snapped yesterday ). Probably will be able to mount them mid next week. Honestly that thread you’re referring to made me a little nervous. Probably will make it a rule to do thorough tire inspection more often than very 5k.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Ive got Dunlop AE, since it had pretty good reviews from people here, for both front and back. Waiting on replacement duck head for rabaconda (which I’ve snapped yesterday ). Probably will be able to mount them mid next week. Honestly that thread you’re referring to made me a little nervous. Probably will make it a rule to do thorough tire inspection more often than very 5k.
Yes sir I agree with you 💯. I hope folks take heed.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:37 PM
cyclone65
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
After that Saddlesore ride, the bike was pretty caked up with a thick layer of bugs.
So much that the first step to getting it handled was a trip to the power wash.
Today I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned.

Finally ready for tomorrow’s ride.

I'm curious about the rack that's behind the solo seat, is that a homemade deal, or did you buy that somewhere??

Old 05-05-2023, 03:38 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

what did i do to my bagger today... well, test fitted and revised my amplifier bracket i designed in CAD and have another 3D print going. this is revision 7 or 8.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:55 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

So I'm just posting this for everyone's knowledge so do with it what you will. After who I consider a friend even though we never met in person and who had a terrible incident recently I decided to inspect all 3 bikes tires. Two of which are still running the stock Dunlops. So far on my 16SGS I have found this on the front tire. The start of a split and some cupping. I'm ordering Metz Cruisetecs today. Still have to inspect the 20RKS. The 04RKC is fine and has a Pirelli Night Dragon on the rear and a Shinko 21 inch on the front.
They say, if you can't be a good example, be a warning.

I bought my new bike yesterday, posted pics above. Part of the deal was free 1k service with tire change. I ordered the Metzler Cruisetech tires, front and rear. I will take the stock tires, since they are mine, and turn them into shelves.

Here are the new tires I ordered. At the 1k service, they go on.

I'm goong to cut up the "perfectly good" tires and make some shelves for the mud room for our helmets and gloves.

I'm not made of money but my motorcycle is the center of my life. That said, I'm not trying to get killed over trying to save $500 on new tires. I was going to replace the tires after this last trip. The trip that went from an overnight run to a 3 week hospital stay.

It's not worth it! Check your tires and your bearings. If you question it, replace it or have it looked at.

@Cornpipe You were riding on that tire just his week. I am so glad this gave you reason to check those tires and find that defect. I can't tell you how happy I am you avoided a catastrophic failure like I did.

Even the HD techs will tell you, checking the individual tread is not something commonly done. Yes, they check the tires. The part that can be seen. The tire wears evenly, even if it's cupping, across the whole tire. So a sample, so to speak, of the visible tread is often enough to determine tire health.

From now on, checking each tread will be a part of my pre-flight checks on longer trips and during basic maintenance.

Dynawobble (05-09-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 04:18 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Apparently my front tire was on borrowed time as well - found this cut, which wasn’t there 1k ago (my 15k service). Good thing is that I already have a replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by rideonva:
NoRegerts (05-05-2023), OkieBill (05-13-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 04:30 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Ignore the white marking paste. So my SGS has 4,064 original miles on the bike and tires. The front tire mfg date is 3815. This is the start of a split/crack.
Does that mean the tire was manufactured on the 38th week of 2015?

Last edited by barneyboy; 05-05-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:43 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Does that mean the tire was manufactured on the 38th week of 2015?
Yes sir it does.

OkieBill (05-13-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?