Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 AM
MarkSG
Cruiser
Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Installed new SE255 cams
Uploaded new PC-V map
Flushed brake fluid
changed oil
Replace bags with new 4" stretched bags
Had to change V&H monster ovals for new Hi-output slip ons because of bags
Ordered the Ohlin STX36 13" shocks for the rear

Old 01-27-2023, 10:16 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

What did you do with the monsters?

Old 01-27-2023, 10:35 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra103
I put some Lock & Dock lower doors on and added a cupholder.

Cast aluminum, nice finish.

My locks were both on upside down. Easy fix.

Won't hold a large Yeti cup,but it'll hold a sports drink or coffee.
Do those lock every time you close them, or do you have a choice? I hate the HD push latches. Have replaced both mine, and one still hangs up.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:55 AM
MarkSG
Cruiser
Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
What did you do with the monsters?
I have them and could sell them.
I have not wiped them down to see what they look like. Should be in pretty good shape with exception of dragging outside bottom on occasion.
I really like them but oval just would not fit the bags. I liked the sound better than my new Hi-output.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:33 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea a riding buddy had them on his 2012 and I loved the sound. So deep.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:42 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,047 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Do those lock every time you close them, or do you have a choice? I hate the HD push latches. Have replaced both mine, and one still hangs up.
You can leave them unlocked, they don’t lock automatically.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:13 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,168 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103
I put some Lock & Dock lower doors on and added a cupholder.

Cast aluminum, nice finish.

My locks were both on upside down. Easy fix.

Won't hold a large Yeti cup,but it'll hold a sports drink or coffee.
Those are nice. They appear to be cast aluminum. I have a set made of textured PVC or ABS that I really like.
I swapped the lock on the left one to a thumb latch, so that I could access my jiffy stand puck, my boot straps, a roll of TP, & a package of baby wipes in case I have a sensitive passenger.
I also used a piece of brake cable from my stash of bicycle parts to create a tether for that door, just to keep it with the bike.
The locked one holds my registration and heated gloves.

The following 2 users liked this post by 07UltraGuy:
Captain Glide (01-28-2023), Ultra103 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:35 PM
Duke4AZ
Supporter
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The 1st time is never simple.

Upgraded front suspention to a set of cartridge shocks . . . sort of.

I have and read adnausium the H-D Service Manual, got familiar with manufacturer's installation instructions and watched way too many YouTube videos.

I got all my new parts and tools and reference materials all organized and set out. All of that is pretty indicative of how I approach a semicomplex task for the 1st time. Carefully and methodically walked through the process. Skipped one step on the 1st shock which resulted in a backstep or two. No big deal. Finished up the assembly and felt pretty good about the job done. That was until . . . well, let me digress a moment.

A while back I decided that if I was going to tear into the front end of the bike I might as kill 2 birds as they say. I took all of the chrome to get it powder coated for the blackout job I want to do. I got all the parts back and put them aside until I got to the shock swap. When it was time to upgrade the shocks I pulled the RH black slider tube and installed the cartridge. Easy peasy. What I thought was a good idea would be to leave the slider wrapped in the protective wrap from the powder coater just to protect the finish. When I got done rebuilding the 1st shock I pulled off the plastic wrap to clean off any oil and prints and to admire my handiwork. That is when I found the huge blemish in the powder coat finish . . . [Explitive delete]. Drained oil, disassembled and cleaned up the slider to go back for rework.

That was 1 of 2. On to the second.
The second worked out pretty well . . . except for that spacer that sort of fell in the installation instructions crack between the manufacturer and service manual. The H-D manual only covers rebuilding the OEM configuration and the mfr instructions just cover what to do with their parts and between the two there are some parts that were neither covered in the instructions nor intuitive as to whether they were to be reused. One in particular is the spacer under the slider dust seal at the top of the slider tube. The service manual obviously called it out in the assembly but the final instruction from the shock maker stopped before that step. Intuitively it looked like it could go in there to support the seal. Intuitively I was wrong. The spacer was thick enough to prevent the seal insertion deep enough to allow installation of the keeper snap ring. Unfortunately pulling a nearly installed dust seal requires draining the oil and partial disassembly.

So, what did I do to my bagger today? I spent about 4 hours and got one front shock swapped out. That said it will most likely take me about 1/2 hour to get the 2nd one put back together . . . that is after I get it back from pewder coating.

Last edited by Duke4AZ; 01-29-2023 at 06:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Duke4AZ:
FL_Moto (01-29-2023), OkieBill (01-30-2023), YZR (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:35 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Boy that sucks, but its so often how my projects seem to go as well. Especially when its my first time in doing said project. Hopefully the powder coat goes well, on take 2.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,493 Likes on 790 Posts

nothing too exciting, new rear tire on the Road King. But it's one thing crossed off the list of winter "things to do"

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Harper:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-30-2023), chopr147 (01-31-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?