Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 08:23 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by bson
I'm just using it the way it came. Do I need to swap them around?
For what it's worth I have to use some force on both of my bikes when reinstalling the pax backrests. All the components are OEM HD. There is some spring tension that has to be overcome on one side or the other.

Have you attempted to get one side in and than push in on the other side?

Old 09-30-2022, 10:00 PM
bson
HDF Community Team
Received 209 Likes on 142 Posts

Well, I have a solo rack and a sissy bar with backrest, and neither of those require any significant force to install...

I just tried bending it, then forcing it on there, but nothing I do will make it fit. Not even close. This is a complete fail, they must have sent me a mount for the wrong bike.

Last edited by bson; 09-30-2022 at 10:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (10-04-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:09 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Paid it off! In preparation for selling it. I gave it two years of trying hard, and then compounded with being rear ended last Oct, in our car, thus causing a fracture in my L5 vertebrae, the bike is too much for me. Am not a big guy anyway, and age and the sore back make simple things like backing up, a major chore.

I have practiced the Ride Like a Pro video, helped a lot, but a couple times, when two up, I have dumped my wife, and its just more than I want to keep dealing with. Am not giving up riding, the plan is to go back to a sportster. Yea I know there are other HD's a lot lighter than my Ultra, but I was very comfortable on the sporty. Had no issues, two up on it, other than being a bit more crowded. It is what it is at this point.

Put a fair amount of cash and time in this one, but thats life.

You guys are great, by the way. Oh, yes, I paid it off to get title in hand for an easier sale. Wifes idea, I thought it was a good one.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:00 AM
bson
HDF Community Team
Received 209 Likes on 142 Posts

I took the mounting bracket off the TP, put it sideways on the ground and stood on it. I had to do that three times before it could even be jammed in there. I could, with ridiculous pushing and twisting get it to seat. Put it back on the TP, but it no longer goes on. No matter how I push, pull, twist, and yank both sides won't go on, I can only ever get one side to start seating. I think the bracket returned too far to its previous shape. It's also visibly warped now. This is just total crap. Will get the OEM bracket and likely never any other AdvanBlack product ever again. Should have just gotten the OEM pack.

Last edited by bson; 10-01-2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:20 AM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Paid it off! In preparation for selling it. I gave it two years of trying hard, and then compounded with being rear ended last Oct, in our car, thus causing a fracture in my L5 vertebrae, the bike is too much for me. Am not a big guy anyway, and age and the sore back make simple things like backing up, a major chore.

I have practiced the Ride Like a Pro video, helped a lot, but a couple times, when two up, I have dumped my wife, and its just more than I want to keep dealing with. Am not giving up riding, the plan is to go back to a sportster. Yea I know there are other HD's a lot lighter than my Ultra, but I was very comfortable on the sporty. Had no issues, two up on it, other than being a bit more crowded. It is what it is at this point.

Put a fair amount of cash and time in this one, but thats life.

You guys are great, by the way. Oh, yes, I paid it off to get title in hand for an easier sale. Wifes idea, I thought it was a good one.
Take that "fair amount of cash" and buy a trike, or convert the bike you have and get a trike kit installed.

johndoe297 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 10:44 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by bson
I took the mounting bracket off the TP, put it sideways on the ground and stood on it. I had to do that three times before it could even be jammed in there. I could, with ridiculous pushing and twisting get it to seat. Put it back on the TP, but it no longer goes on. No matter how I push, pull, twist, and yank both sides won't go on, I can only ever get one side to start seating. I think the bracket returned too far to its previous shape. It's also visibly warped now. This is just total crap. Will get the OEM bracket and likely never any other AdvanBlack product ever again. Should have just gotten the OEM pack.
Before you throw in the towel, try this, it worked well for me. To keep the top plate from flexing, I turned the bracket upsidedown and securely clamped it to the top of my workbench. A large adjustable wrench adjusted so it fit snug on the side plate thickness allowed the leverage necessary to bend each side in or out individually. After a few test fits, and some fine tuning, the bracket was aligned perfectly, and both sides dropped into place without forcing them. Attaching the TP to the bracket afterwards didn't alter the alignment. Good luck.

BrandonSmith (10-03-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:07 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmf
Take that "fair amount of cash" and buy a trike, or convert the bike you have and get a trike kit installed.
I have considered that, and maybe someday, if this crazy market ever settles, I will. For now I have chosen my path.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

What’s wrong with this picture???? How many geniuses do we have here?
FYI: I’m NOT one of them😫😩😖🤬

Old 10-01-2022, 05:29 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
What’s wrong with this picture???? How many geniuses do we have here?
FYI: I’m NOT one of them😫😩😖🤬
Looks like you forgot to install the left side hydraulic reservoir and mirror assy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cornpipe:
Bafflingbs (10-01-2022), chopr147 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 05:41 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Looks like you forgot to install the left side hydraulic reservoir and mirror assy.
Ding, ding, ding!!!!! We have a winner! And, unfortunately, a loser……..🫣🫥

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 10-01-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?