Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:45 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

During the SE Torque cam install job I added some HD black lifter covers and pushrod tubes. This is how the Specials should come from the factory. IMHO of course.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cornpipe:
Bafflingbs (06-02-2022), maxxym (05-31-2022), Okiephillip (06-02-2022), Rob Harper (05-31-2022), vin088xk1 (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:07 PM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,125 Posts

100% agree @Cornpipe .

Looking forward to do my install soon. My apologies if I missed it in your earlier comments, but did you also upgrade the oil pump while you were in there?

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior
Received 643 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Started the SE Torque cam kit install. I totally intended on having issues with the stock tappet cuff bolts b/c word on the street is the factory over torques and over uses loctite. It wasn't the cuff bolts that got me but the upper cam chain tensioner bolt. Way too much torque and on top of that the head is those

BS star fasteners. So I ended up having to drill the head off and get new ones from my local dealer. All is well and I have moved on.

If you do a cam job dump the stock plastic tappet cuffs here on the left. Use S&S cuffs on the right.

Inferior HD inner cam bearing on the left. Quality Timken bearing on the right. Another must have upgrade with a bigger cam. You can plainly see the difference in the rollers.
Yup! I ordered all that stuff including S&S oil pump & cam plate from FuelMoto last January when I bought the WOODS 22X-E cam from them. Back on 4/29 you had told me "My RKS is stock except for slip ons. It has plenty of power as is". But now I see you actually did upgrade your M8. What changed your mind??

p.s...kudos to doing that work urself. I don't have the patience, tho do have the skill as an ex-Air Force aircraft mechanic!

Last edited by Oil, Gas & Leather; 05-31-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:12 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by maxxym
100% agree @Cornpipe .

Looking forward to do my install soon. My apologies if I missed it in your earlier comments, but did you also upgrade the oil pump while you were in there?
You definitely should! I did!

Old 05-31-2022, 12:35 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

100% agree @Cornpipe .

No Sir the new model oil pump is pretty stout and I didn't see the need to spend the coin.

The following users liked this post:
maxxym (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:40 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Oil, Gas & Leather
Yup! I ordered all that stuff including S&S oil pump & cam plate from FuelMoto last January when I bought the WOODS 22X-E cam from them. Back on 4/29 you had told me "My RKS is stock except for slip ons. It has plenty of power as is". But now I see you actually did upgrade your M8. What changed your mind??

p.s...kudos to doing that work urself. I don't have the patience, tho do have the skill as an ex-Air Force aircraft mechanic!
Hey OG all you guys were having so much fun with larger cams I decided to join the party! I decided to keep everything HD/SE just to keep the cost down. I got all the parts, o-rings, special tools, basically A-Z for $1,200. Plus like you said the savings in labor I'm guessing another grand at least. I did the trans cover breather to accommodate the torque cam and possibly more crankcase pressure. I'm doing the tune as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cornpipe:
maxxym (05-31-2022), Oil, Gas & Leather (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 06:44 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

No Sir the new model oil pump is pretty stout and I didn't see the need to spend the coin.
Hi Maxxym,
You probably already know this but the lifter covers are different part numbers. There is a front and a rear and HD didn't mark them other than the packaging. Just fyi when you go to replace them.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:00 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

100% agree @Cornpipe .

Upgrade the oil pump as well. Any upgrade from factory Harley parts is worth the money in the long run!!

Old 05-31-2022, 07:04 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Hey OG all you guys were having so much fun with larger cams I decided to join the party! I decided to keep everything HD/SE just to keep the cost down. I got all the parts, o-rings, special tools, basically A-Z for $1,200. Plus like you said the savings in labor I'm guessing another grand at least. I did the trans cover breather to accommodate the torque cam and possibly more crankcase pressure. I'm doing the tune as well.
That's fantastic Cornpipe! You'll really enjoy the upgrades...plus the knowledge that you did it yourself & saved all that labor $$$! That adds a whole nother lever of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself! I can't git that kind of satisfaction! (Rolling Stones!) LOL

Let us know your torque & HP numbers when you get em pls...

Old 05-31-2022, 07:14 PM
Harfar
Road Captain
Received 488 Likes on 226 Posts

Waited 4 1/2 hrs for a CAA flatbed to tow my Electra glide to my Indy. He thinks it's a bad Crank position sensor... I put a new battery, new plugs and changed all three fluids. The bike cranks like crazy but won't start. Fingers crossed it's inexpensive and fixed quick.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?