Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 12:53 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by TxSpeedster
Installed tour pack and Mustang seats. Still undecided on passenger backrest.I don't want the huge armchair backrest; looking for ideas on something a little less bulky. Once I find the ideal setup it will all go to the upholsterer for black and white covers to match the original.

Check out ebay or amazon. I have seen half moon style backrests that mount to the tourpak lid, might be just what you are after. Or complete the line with Mustang https://www.ebay.com/itm/28446540901...8AAOSw-K9hXKbT

The following users liked this post:
TxSpeedster (03-12-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 02:07 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
So my 36 year love/hate relationship of owning Harley D continues....
Because I wanted to install these...

I had to move the passing lamps and turn signals to the forward position on the bracket which caused me to have to make this tool to avoid paying Snap-On $62.00 for a 9/16 slotted socket.

Why did I need a slotted socket you may ask? Because Harley in their infinite wisdom has the passing lamp wires and turn signal wires running through the hollow mount stud which has a 9/16 nut holding the passing lamp on. You have to drop the turn signals down and slide the slotted socket up into the lamp mount and allow the wires to sit in the slotted portion in order to break the nut loose in order to move the entire assy fwd.

In the end love triumphs and the wind deflectors are installed.
Good job!

Just throwing this out there for those looking for a ready made Snap-On alternative. Memphis Shades sells the socket for $14.95.

LightninST (03-12-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 02:21 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,168 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe

Why did I need a slotted socket you may ask? Because Harley in their infinite wisdom has the passing lamp wires and turn signal wires running through the hollow mount stud which has a 9/16 nut holding the passing lamp on. You have to drop the turn signals down and slide the slotted socket up into the lamp mount and allow the wires to sit in the slotted portion in order to break the nut loose in order to move the entire assy fwd.
I'm quite certain that Harley-Davidson was offering engineers/designers bonuses for whoever could create the most Rube Golberg-esque assemblies.
Some of the stuff they've imposed on us owners is well beyond reason, even if maintaining brand integrity was the only objective.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Good job!

Just throwing this out there for those looking for a ready made Snap-On alternative. Memphis Shades sells the socket for $14.95.
That's not a bad deal for someone who did this a lot. Another thing is once those passing lamps and turn signals are loose they can be adjusted all kinds of ways. It took some time to get both sides to match up.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:59 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
I'm quite certain that Harley-Davidson was offering engineers/designers bonuses for whoever could create the most Rube Golberg-esque assemblies.
Some of the stuff they've imposed on us owners is well beyond reason, even if maintaining brand integrity was the only objective.
I agree 💯 %. Another detail I left out is the manual says to loosen the 9/16 nut and slide the whole light assy forward. I had to remove the nuts completely because the stud was too thick to pass through the narrow part of the bracket. I actually had to drummel the narrow part to allow the stud to pass through the channel. They don't leave enough slack in the wires to lift the passing lamp up and out of the bracket to reposition it. No wonder dealers charge $100.00+ an hour.

07UltraGuy (03-11-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 03:32 PM
Phatdad
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thrashin risers and bars.

The following 7 users liked this post by Phatdad:
Av8rPaul (04-06-2022), BigBlue1! (03-10-2022), crtman21 (03-14-2022), Gwrench (04-27-2022), Oil, Gas & Leather (03-10-2022), Panayiotis (03-15-2022), roadrunner1414 (03-11-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:16 PM
BigBlue1!
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default This years changes / upgrades so far. 😂

New bars going on. 12” fat baggers. They seem more like 13”-14” though.

New shift linkage. With a cheap custom touch. Lol

Rinehart racing inverted air cleaner. To match pipes.

The following 4 users liked this post by BigBlue1!:
07UltraGuy (03-11-2022), chopr147 (03-19-2022), Oil, Gas & Leather (03-10-2022), Phatdad (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:49 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
When I think about running the wires through the hollow fastener to offer a clean look, while at the same time protecting the wires from the elements, it appears to be a time tested well thought out design. Curious what you would do to make it more user friendly?

The following 2 users liked this post by barneyboy:
BrandonSmith (03-18-2022), golfblues (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by barneyboy
When I think about running the wires through the hollow fastener to offer a clean look, while at the same time protecting the wires from the elements, it appears to be a time tested well thought out design. Curious what you would do to make it more user friendly?
Any way but the way they did it! Lol You must be a designer or engineer. HD could have incorporated quick disconnects to allow for the turn signals to be removed at least. Then you wouldn't need a special tool!

Last edited by Cornpipe; 03-10-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:32 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rwd rs-1 update

Originally Posted by HYPR
Well let's see now...A few weeks ago I brought home a new 2022 FLTRXS in White Sand Pearl.
Now for the party to begin. I added a detachable sissy bar and backrest for my girl
LePera LKU 957 Maverick Reduced Reach seat (God did a materials transfer by making my legs short and giving some Basketball player a few extra inches LOL!...Hey they may have talent, reach and the ability to earn millions each year but hey when I fall down I don't have that far to fall! LOL!)
RWD RS-1 13"Shocks.
Well stay tuned for more to come...
As I had posted I just bought a set along with a set of RWD RS-1 13" shocks plus a LePera Maverick Reduced height seat. I'm gonna ride it a bit so the shocks settle in before installing the Covingtons. So far solo I'm about .125" from being flat footed but with my girl (108#) I'm flat footed. We will see how it goes and I'll post some feedback. I am 5'6" 29-30" inseam and 175#.
As promised I would provide my feedback. I took the RG out for a spin today, the first I had an opportunity to do with the new 13" RWD RS-1 shocks and WOW what an improvement in ride comfort but the height is about the same as the 12" OEMs with the Sag just as Josh from RWD had thought. I then installed the 1" Covingtons. I can now flat foot the bike and with the exception of backing over a bump it is fine. Now about the difference in ride, I road over the same speed bumps before and after installing the lowering blocks and what I found was after installing the blocks the rear suspension feels like the compression has improved to a point there is less jarring at slow and road speed. The rebound appears to feel while less responsive a bit softer so I am not sure how this will translate into dips on high speed curves but if this is less desirable I can adjust this. My question is if anyone else installing these specific blocks noticed the same?

The following 2 users liked this post by HYPR:
BigBlue1! (03-11-2022), Phatdad (03-10-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?