Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 02:09 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear about your buddy, but cool of you to make a remembrance ride. Maybe make it an annual ride.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:29 AM
O7pearl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When running the Redline do you stick to the recommended change intervals? Redline claims extended change intervals so just curious.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:54 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Personally, if I was running red line a lot, I would definitely change intervals sooner.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:04 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Morish
Personally, if I was running red line a lot, I would definitely change intervals sooner.
Lol hey Morish are you talking running the bike up to redline on the tach? If so I believe he is talking about the synthetic oil Redline. I've run Redline products in all three holes and had no issues letting it go to their recommendations. Especially at the cost of the stuff. I now run Lucas since I can buy it local from O'Reilly Auto.

The following users liked this post:
Morish (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:15 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by handirifle
I am not too concerned about discrepancies. There are wo many gauge types its ridiculous. I spoke to my tire shop and they said that there is so much leeway designed into tires that a 3–4 psi variance from one gauge type to another is not a problem. I also know from my own RV system, that on very cold mornings tires pressures can be low enough to set off the low pressure alarm. As long as they are both low by the same amount, or close, no issue.

Funny note. I had one tire that always set off the alarm on my 5th wheel, when temps went below 40*F. It showed 3-4 below the others, but when warmed up on the road, they were much closer. So of course, when on a trip that tire showed low, I was not real concerned, until I looked at the tire.
Good post Rifle and very true about the different readings between gages and tpms etc. Looking forward to future updates on your progress with the system install. Did you find a deal on the BCM and did you have to buy a certain model year unit? Is this issue just with older SG and RG that don't have a working tpms? I didn't know folks were doing this until you posted the other day about it. I didn't even know we had a BCM. I guess I have one on my 2020 RKS correct?

Old 01-01-2022, 10:53 AM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

LOL OOPS, I’m only on my 4 cup of coffee 🤪

Red Line is a great product. I’ve used it in my vet and changed it on recommended intervals or a little sooner, no issues.
In my view, if you can afford to change it earlier, do it.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:07 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Morish
LOL OOPS, I’m only on my 4 cup of coffee 🤪
Red Line is a great product. I’ve used it in my vet and changed it on recommended intervals or a little sooner, no issues.In my view, if you can afford to change it earlier, do it.
No worries and I was thinking if he was consistently running his bike to redline he'd have more to worry about besides oil change intervals lol. I do like Redline but shipping was pricey. I was glad I found Lucas mc oil and k&n filters local.

Morish (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 12:22 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Good post Rifle and very true about the different readings between gages and tpms etc. Looking forward to future updates on your progress with the system install. Did you find a deal on the BCM and did you have to buy a certain model year unit? Is this issue just with older SG and RG that don't have a working tpms? I didn't know folks were doing this until you posted the other day about it. I didn't even know we had a BCM. I guess I have one on my 2020 RKS correct?
Cornpipe
I am going from memory here, so might be off a bit. I think the touring bikes from around 14-17 with the 6.5 GT can do this upgrade. The same bikes from 18+ came with it. Your RKS should have a bcm, but since there is no GTS display, the (guessing here) tpms is turned off. The bcm controls lights and a number of other functions. I am not aware of all it does.

I got my tire sensors on a deal from Utah HD, but didn't have the funding (stupidly) to get the BCM then too. Those deals are dried up now, since HD shut down dealers discounting HD parts online. They (Utah HD) sent me an email reminding me of the last day to buy discount, so I bought what I could. I had purchased from them before so was on their list. I get why HD cut that off but still do not like it. In the long run, better for the MoCo, since discount parts would not be so great if the MoCo went belly up.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:32 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey Cornpipe, just a thought. Some of the guys on here that know more than me (which is most of them) about TPMS, might be able to tell you for sure. There is also a display in the odometer window, that can be toggled to show pressure readings. Not sure if thats available for the RKS but hey, ya never know unless you poke around. These bikes are rolling computers nowdays.

If your speedo display can do it, all you would need are the sensors, and have the function turned on it the BCM.

Last edited by handirifle; 01-01-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by handirifle
Cornpipe
I am going from memory here, so might be off a bit. I think the touring bikes from around 14-17 with the 6.5 GT can do this upgrade. The same bikes from 18+ came with it. Your RKS should have a bcm, but since there is no GTS display, the (guessing here) tpms is turned off.
Thanks Rifle good to know and great info you supplied. I do have a working tpms on my RKS but it gives the tp readings on a small lcd window that's part of the speedo in the center dash. I have the trigger switch on the left switch housing like all touring bikes which toggles through all the normal info. I normally have it set on the gear/rpm option when riding but I check the tp on it as well. I love this forum b/c you never stop learning from others.

NoRegerts (01-02-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?