Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 07:07 AM
V8R
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
I looked up the link you posted. Interesting product. I wonder if it has any affect on ABS? Also, I looked under your posted '12 RKC, and my '14 Ultra Classic and did not see an option for rear brake.
technically there isn’t an option for the rear brake as a ‘parking brake’; the rear master cylinder isn’t in a terribly convenient location. It would only really be any good for holding the tire still while doing maintenance It would be the exact same one for the front brake, I measured with the one I ordered, and it fits (on mine). As far as affecting ABS, I’m no scientist or engineer, but if the “brake” is not applied, it is just a normal banjo bolt. It works by preventing brake line pressure from returning to the master cylinder. As soon as you give the brake lever a squeeze, it releases. It’s friggin genius. I have no idea why there aren’t more of these things out there. Also, If you email them they respond very quickly. That’s a great sign of customer service and quality in my book.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by V8R
technically there isn’t an option for the rear brake as a ‘parking brake’; the rear master cylinder isn’t in a terribly convenient location. It would only really be any good for holding the tire still while doing maintenance It would be the exact same one for the front brake, I measured with the one I ordered, and it fits (on mine). As far as affecting ABS, I’m no scientist or engineer, but if the “brake” is not applied, it is just a normal banjo bolt. It works by preventing brake line pressure from returning to the master cylinder. As soon as you give the brake lever a squeeze, it releases. It’s friggin genius. I have no idea why there aren’t more of these things out there. Also, If you email them they respond very quickly. That’s a great sign of customer service and quality in my book.
Just don't park on inclines or if you do have your bike facing uphill. Save yourself $200.00
Just joking it seems like a rational idea but I'll pass. Never had an issue with my bikes in almost 40 years of riding. I could buy more chrome for the kind of money they are asking for a brake banjo bolt. This makes me wonder what do guys do with their bikes living in San Francisco! That really must be a PITA!

The following users liked this post:
Captain Glide (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:57 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I think I would use it. Many of the crowned roads where I live, have me leaving it in gear, and my understanding is leaving it in gear is hard on the dtarter.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,493 Likes on 790 Posts

I changed the engine oil/filter. Then started to remove the derby cover to change the primary fluid, top torx bolt was being stubborn so I got small impact on it. Broke the T27 bit, and since I was pushing in on the driver, the spinning sharp broken bit proceeded to put a nice scratch in the outer primary cover about 4" long. Arghh. Put all the bolts back in, and left it for another day.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
I changed the engine oil/filter. Then started to remove the derby cover to change the primary fluid, top torx bolt was being stubborn so I got small impact on it. Broke the T27 bit, and since I was pushing in on the driver, the spinning sharp broken bit proceeded to put a nice scratch in the outer primary cover about 4" long. Arghh. Put all the bolts back in, and left it for another day.
Now that just sucks all the way around. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Have a beer and get ready for the Field of Dreams Game tonight at 7est. Yanks and Whitesox!

Old 08-12-2021, 03:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Turn it into opportunity, buy a custom derby cover. Win win

The following users liked this post:
Captain Glide (08-13-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 03:31 PM
speedkills66
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just in case you don't know:
When you get the primary fluid changed and are reinstalling the screws, Derby cover screws should be torqued to 84-108 INCH-lbs.
Then hopefully you don't repeat this situation in the future.
FYI I've had those screws break in the past and they're not overly difficult to remove with the cover off.
Good luck.

ps I wont be home until tomorrow night (Friday 8/13) but I have at least one, if not two, extra derby covers around I could part with.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:32 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Wow somebody cranked that on way way too tight. Before you try again put some heat on it and get it good and hot.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:43 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

What's a "small impact"? Brand, pics?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by speedkills66
Just in case you don't know:
When you get the primary fluid changed and are reinstalling the screws, Derby cover screws should be torqued to 84-108 INCH-lbs.
Then hopefully you don't repeat this situation in the future.
FYI I've had those screws break in the past and they're not overly difficult to remove with the cover off.
ps I wont be home until tomorrow night (Friday 8/13) but I have at least one, if not two, extra derby covers around I could part with.
Who even actually torques those except initially from the factory. The derby cover screws should be snug and that's it. He scratched his primary cover not the derby cover which really sucks!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?