Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloody Marvelous
Just putting different mufflers on it won't do anything for or against your performance as long as you're not shortening the total exhaust length. The intake is the restrictive part here, so no tuning required either.
You can pick whatever you think looks and/or sounds best.
I just watched a few videos on YT that says the M8 is coming from the factory at AFR settings in the 14 range vs the TC motor was coming out in the 16-17 range. These guys are saying you can change the intake and add slip ons without a tuner on the M8. First I heard of that but they had the dyno sheets showing the settings on stock M8 motors. I wouldn't do it of course but interesting at any rate.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Bloody Marvelous
Road Captain
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Actually, slip ons do in fact have a great effect on low rpm torque, if you change to one with a wide open baffle, say 2.5" etc.
The M8 needs a bit of restriction for torque, and there is quite a list of ones that are not detrimental to torque, or you can install Fuel Moto baffles in the ones that do have a large baffle in them, like the Rinehart touring.
I think the cat would provide enough of a restriction in an otherwise stock setup. While the M8's are sensitive to the type of exhaust you put on them, the difference for a stock engine is minimal. As you upgrade its performance, the difference becomes more and more noticeable. Sticking with the stock intake, stock cam, and stock head pipes, I don't think there'll be much difference regardless what slip-ons you decide to go with. It's all about sound and looks at that level.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:01 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,209 Likes on 3,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloody Marvelous
I think the cat would provide enough of a restriction in an otherwise stock setup. While the M8's are sensitive to the type of exhaust you put on them, the difference for a stock engine is minimal. As you upgrade its performance, the difference becomes more and more noticeable. Sticking with the stock intake, stock cam, and stock head pipes, I don't think there'll be much difference regardless what slip-ons you decide to go with. It's all about sound and looks at that level.
I was specifically speaking to low RPM torque, as I said. If you take the stock cans off a stock bike with an M8, and throw cans on with large baffles/no restriction, you will lose RPM torque.
It's well known.
Ditching the cat in the stock pipe is great for heat reduction on a stock bike, that is about it.

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:31 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,751 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I was specifically speaking to low RPM torque, as I said. If you take the stock cans off a stock bike with an M8, and throw cans on with large baffles/no restriction, you will lose RPM torque.
It's well known.
Ditching the cat in the stock pipe is great for heat reduction on a stock bike, that is about it.
I agree with you NW on the loss of low end torque with slip-ons with little to no baffles and large diameter exit pipes. Along with the power loss this can also cause de-cel pop. I opted to go with 3.5 inch Drag Specialties slip-ons with removable louvered steel baffles. 3.5 is the stock size diameter so I stayed with that. I picked them up off Dennis Kirk for 289.00 and free shipping. In matte black of course!

Last edited by Cornpipe; 06-06-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:46 PM
flynhigh56
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleaned her up after a 200 mile poker run yesterday.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:23 PM
bunk216
Cruiser
Received 280 Likes on 136 Posts

Finally got around to building a tour pack storage rack. Mine lives off the bike 95% of the time. Total cost was under 30 bucks. Planning on making another for a buddy and already have another way I plan to do it minus the all thread and just bolts. Doesn't need as much support as I thought.

The following 6 users liked this post by bunk216:
KW HD (06-07-2021), Oil, Gas & Leather (06-07-2021), Quipuha (06-06-2021), sailmotion (06-16-2021), Snowfan (06-07-2021), vin088xk1 (06-07-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:48 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Wow thats a cool idea. Dude you need to get a patent. Seriously.

bunk216 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Hey guys I'm just asking for opinions, (and I know what opinions are like), and not start a big thing about whose slip-ons are better than who's. So here it goes. I'm on the fence about installing them on my 2020 RKS which I intend on leaving stock as far as the intake, and header go and no after market tuner. I wouldn't mind some more sound over the stock mufflers but not at the expense of low end roll on power. I also know the engine is lean from the factory so I don't want to aggravate an already lean running engine. I'm kind of looking at the Penn Steel Works Rebellions based on their baffle set up. Is it worth the over $600 to $700 scones for any brand mufflers to make the change from stock? I'm hoping folks that are stock and have made the leap will answer as well. Also drilling out the stock baffles is not something I'm interested in doing so hold those thoughts. Thanks for your time.
Not sure if they make an M-8 version, but look at Fulsac's website. They have a baffle replacement kit, I know for TC models, that you cut the tip off the back end, of stock cans, and swap with their new ends and baffles. About $300 for the TC kit. I have the 1.75 Fulsac baffles in my SE cans and love the sound. I also have a set of 2" baffles and am considering swapping them to see if I like it. I do not like it to be TOO loud, and the 1.75's are pretty darn close to just right. A LITTLE quiet at idle, but otherwise great. Low and mid range power is excellent, but I do also have PV tune on it.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:56 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 06-07-2021, 12:00 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Installed the CarPlay plug that I purchased off eBay and laid down a coat of Adam’s Graphene on the paint. The CarPlay plug works flawlessly and most importantly allows my Bluetooth headset to work with the bike Bluetooth without having to pay for the HD WHIM device. The Graphene makes the paint look new again.
What exactly is the "car play plug"? What year is your bike? Boom GT or GTS?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?