Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:09 PM
SetoSeyer
Intermediate
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I rode it! well, a couple days ago. Started raining which is not usually an issue except for some reason this rain felt like needles so we pulled over at a school and parked under the awning to the front entrance.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:27 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I installed my Screaming Eagle air filter. This was a month long venture. Ordered it over the phone through local dealer. Part came 2 weeks later and tried to install, nope, its for a CVO 110, not my 103. A 58mm opening vs a 50mm opening and the OEM cover would not fit. So he ordered the correct part, and I waited another 2 weeks for that one.

Amazing what the right parts install like. Uses the OEM cover without the plastic bowl in the back, and filter is larger dia, and twice as deep. Will prob touch my knee more, but won't be a big issue.

Funny part, is the badge that says 103 High Output, is replaced with one that says Screaming Eagle. Here's the kicker. They are held on by double stick tape. The 103" version has a recessed area for the big bolt that holds it on. The SE version, is solid. Meaning destroy it every time you remove the cover to wash the filter.
Being part Irish and a cheap sucker, I am not about to do that. So I drilled a 7/16" hole right where the big hex driver goes in to the bolt. Then I scrounged up a plastic plug. Now I just pop out the plug, insert hex wrench, and unscrew the bolt and cover. The SE plate now acts as a capture plate for the bolt.

I am sure HD would charge as much for that SE plate as a new filter, since the filter is washable, they had to get money somehow. Thought about leaving the hole open, but the silver-ish parts behind kinda show through.

The following 3 users liked this post by handirifle:
lawrence668 (06-19-2020), slippin_jimmy (06-19-2020), Superdog3:16 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 214 Likes on 156 Posts

Got new Mustang Standard Touring today. Thank you Direct Cycle Parts for finding this. Everywhere I looked said out of stock but they found one somewhere. I've heard these take some break in time and I believe it. As of now sits me a little forward and up compared to the stock seat.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 05:29 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
I installed my Screaming Eagle air filter. This was a month long venture. Ordered it over the phone through local dealer. Part came 2 weeks later and tried to install, nope, its for a CVO 110, not my 103. A 58mm opening vs a 50mm opening and the OEM cover would not fit. So he ordered the correct part, and I waited another 2 weeks for that one.

Amazing what the right parts install like. Uses the OEM cover without the plastic bowl in the back, and filter is larger dia, and twice as deep. Will prob touch my knee more, but won't be a big issue.

Funny part, is the badge that says 103 High Output, is replaced with one that says Screaming Eagle. Here's the kicker. They are held on by double stick tape. The 103" version has a recessed area for the big bolt that holds it on. The SE version, is solid. Meaning destroy it every time you remove the cover to wash the filter.
Being part Irish and a cheap sucker, I am not about to do that. So I drilled a 7/16" hole right where the big hex driver goes in to the bolt. Then I scrounged up a plastic plug. Now I just pop out the plug, insert hex wrench, and unscrew the bolt and cover. The SE plate now acts as a capture plate for the bolt.

I am sure HD would charge as much for that SE plate as a new filter, since the filter is washable, they had to get money somehow. Thought about leaving the hole open, but the silver-ish parts behind kinda show through.
I put one of those on my 103 RoadKing, and was wondering if the SE thing was gonna get destroyed every time. I thought I read somewhere that ya pulled it up from the front and it pops out? Maybe someone can chime in I like the look though.....

Old 06-19-2020, 07:03 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
I put one of those on my 103 RoadKing, and was wondering if the SE thing was gonna get destroyed every time. I thought I read somewhere that ya pulled it up from the front and it pops out? Maybe someone can chime in I like the look though.....
Yup, no need to drill a hole in the insert, or destroy it for service. The reclosable tape can be separated and pressed back together for service.

Last edited by barneyboy; 06-19-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Superdog3:16 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 PM
MotoDude
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Installed adjustable footpegs for the wife and lithium battery (cleaned the battery compartment too).

cyclone65 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:40 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I swear mine is plain dual side tape. Now ya got me wondering. Crap. So velcro. Gonna feel like an idiot if thats true now.
Did it go over the old one, or remove the old one and put the velcro in its place? Mine did NOT have those instructions with it, that is for sure. If I thought, I have some of that type of velcro laying around. Now I feel stupid. Did not even think of that.

Oh well. I got some good news today. Thursday AM, I took my bike to have the head bearings adjusted/serviced. An hour later the service guy comes out to tell me the bearings are too notchy to adjust properly. The bike does have 53k on it. So the bill was going to be $540. After making about half dozen phone calls to the dealer, and the one I bought it from, they are now being covered by my extended warranty plan. So now its just a $50 deductible, and thats all. Much better.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:55 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Well, I swear mine is plain dual side tape. Now ya got me wondering. Crap. So velcro. Gonna feel like an idiot if thats true now.
Did it go over the old one, or remove the old one and put the velcro in its place? Mine did NOT have those instructions with it, that is for sure. If I thought, I have some of that type of velcro laying around. Now I feel stupid. Did not even think of that.

Oh well. I got some good news today. Thursday AM, I took my bike to have the head bearings adjusted/serviced. An hour later the service guy comes out to tell me the bearings are too notchy to adjust properly. The bike does have 53k on it. So the bill was going to be $540. After making about half dozen phone calls to the dealer, and the one I bought it from, they are now being covered by my extended warranty plan. So now its just a $50 deductible, and thats all. Much better.
The original insert is removed.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:30 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I did do that, but it did get slightly bent in the removal process. I ordered a new one from HD online last nite. $22 after tax.

I guess stupid isn't cheap. LOL live and learn, hopefully.

On a good note, yesterday I took the bike out for a grocery run, literally. A 40 mile round trip for us CA country folk. The bike is finally starting to perform. Getting on the freeway, the engine now WANTS to rev, where before it got there, but took longer than it felt like it should. Especially after the full stage one, Sportster 1200 I was riding. I would bet there is over twice the available surface area on the new filter, and there is no longer any restrictions getting air to it, like the stock.

Since my ESP is already starting to pay for itself, with covering the new steering head bearings and install, I am not going to jeopardize my warranty with my PowerVision, but I am already looking forward to the day I get to use it.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 AM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,620 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy

As an aside, I want this tape in my fastener and tape kit at home. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?