Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 04:18 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,129 Likes on 1,846 Posts

40 ft lbs??? You’re nuts. Filter makes contact and it’s only 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. That’s it. 40ft lbs would do some damage, wither in install or removal.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:35 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Ok if you're going to quote me get it all. There IS the LOL right after that. Thus my explanation right afterwards of me over tightening. Good grief, no it was a joke......
I think at 40lbs it would crumble the filter. C'mon guys, have a cold one and relax, lol.

The following users liked this post:
Oko (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 04:36 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

This isolation must be getting to everyone.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:39 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Oko
Did you try a hex socket on the end of the filter. Did not see that in your post? I will assume that was your first move before the first screwdriver attempt.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:45 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
You’re nuts.
Possibly, lol, but thats a whole nuther thread.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:54 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Ok if you're going to quote me get it all. There IS the LOL right after that. Thus my explanation right afterwards of me over tightening. Good grief, no it was a joke......
I think at 40lbs it would crumble the filter. C'mon guys, have a cold one and relax, lol.
Your lol started a new sentence. How are we to know the first sentence was a joke?

Just remember, the new filter, oil the seal, screw it in till it make contact, and then torque to 40ft lbs. lol I am guilty of over tightening them sometimes too. The mind set of making sure it doesn't leak takes over, and then that "extra little bit" to make sure.

I do think you took it to the next level though.

I made a tool up for my sportster, that I hope will work on the Ultra for my first oil change. Its ratchet driven and works by wrapping a nylon belt around the filter, and the harder I ratchet, and torque the strap, the tighter it gets. I have a commercially made one I use on my truck, so the concept does work. Just have not used it on the bike yet. The truck one was too large to fit even the sportster.

Hope it goes better next time around. I have found that when I over torque, even the special end wrenches just spin.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:20 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea my punctuation was a tad off. My son would not be happy. He's a high school english teacher. LOL!!!! He really is.

Ah, I am new to this side of the forum. The guys at the sportster side are used to me I think.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,312 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Oko
Did you try a hex socket on the end of the filter. Did not see that in your post? I will assume that was your first move before the first screwdriver attempt.
Yes. Rounded it off pronto. And then I vaguely remember something about NOT using the K&N Chromed filters because "they all do that". I'll find out because I put another new one back on so I could ride Sunday. ( I generally buy things in twos & threes)

I thought I did 1/4-1/2 turn, but I musta messed up. But It will be a much shorter adventure this time, because Big Bertha Screwdriver will come out quick!

I thought the 40-ft lbs was funny.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I only use the K&N filters, and, have never had problems getting them off. 17mm

Old 06-14-2020, 07:30 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Finished another project I’ve been putting off for a couple years. I broke my foot, so, I’m trying to stay occupied, to pass the time.
I cheap’d out when I modified my OEM speaker lids, to accept 6x9’s. I bought the less expensive adapters. They were poorly designed, and no amount of silicone, stopped them from leaking. This time, I bought the ones from American hardbags, with the Zert tool (which sucked)-(or I suck because I couldn’t get it to work). It’s a much better system, which I have a lot more confidence in. (No need for silicone). Anyway, here’s some before and after pictures.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?