Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 PM
fdesa
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I rewired the passing lights, they are now independent from the headlamp. So I could use my passing lights whether the headlamp is in either low or highbeam mode.
In stock configuration, the passing lights only worked when the headlamp was in low beam but not when the highbeam was on (RK 2012)

The following users liked this post:
Slowpoke62 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:55 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,142 Likes on 468 Posts

I got to remove and reinstall my rear wheel that I put on earlier this week.

Weather was windy but warm and sunny today. I washed the bike late morning and got out for a ride about noon. The ABS light stayed on so looped back to the house and started troubleshooting. I was hoping that it was just the wheel speed sensor but that looked good. Pulled the wheel and noticed the bearings (installed earlier this week at the Harley dealer) were on the wrong side (ABS on the sprocket side).

The dealer service department made it right and I got the wheel reinstalled in time for a short ride before sunset - no ABS light and looks much better than the old wheel.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboydoc
I got to remove and reinstall my rear wheel that I put on earlier this week.

Weather was windy but warm and sunny today. I washed the bike late morning and got out for a ride about noon. The ABS light stayed on so looped back to the house and started troubleshooting. I was hoping that it was just the wheel speed sensor but that looked good. Pulled the wheel and noticed the bearings (installed earlier this week at the Harley dealer) were on the wrong side (ABS on the sprocket side).

The dealer service department made it right and I got the wheel reinstalled in time for a short ride before sunset - no ABS light and looks much better than the old wheel.

Hope they installed another set of new bearings. Makes you wonder about any other work they have done to the bike Belt tension, Brakes and Axle torque comes to mind. No excuse for this.

Last edited by hardheaded; 02-23-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 PM
MGH
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

seats nice, suggest you get your mechanic some good gloves. she might file a complain. and seize the bike and you'll have to buy another to ride with her. LOL
my grand daughter watched a guy get banged up by a car, can't get her to go ride with me.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,142 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
Hope they installed another set of new bearings. Makes you wonder about any other work they have done to the bike Belt tension, Brakes and Axle torque comes to mind. No excuse for this.
Yes - new set of bearings installed. The dealer service department was appropriately embarrassed and apologetic at the screw up. They owned the mistake and made it right. As I said, I should have caught it before I installed it. I did notice that the rotor side bearing looked different than my old wheel, but just thought maybe due to a newer part. I even took a picture of it, seen a few posts up.

I did everything else myself. I have a service manual, jack, decent assortment of tools, and enjoy working on my bike. The only reason I had the dealer do the bearings is I didn’t have the tool to do it.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Slowpoke62
Cruiser
Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fdesa
I rewired the passing lights, they are now independent from the headlamp. So I could use my passing lights whether the headlamp is in either low or highbeam mode.
In stock configuration, the passing lights only worked when the headlamp was in low beam but not when the highbeam was on (RK 2012)
I did the same to my 2010 RK. Plus I added some LED mini lights to my crash bar. My hope is that the cager will see me before he/she rolls over me.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Slowpoke62
Cruiser
Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
Kind of odd that this is the first two posts by a new member. Almost like there is something more to the story.
I agree. My experience with LRS has been exceptional.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:49 AM
fdesa
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowpoke62
I did the same to my 2010 RK. Plus I added some LED mini lights to my crash bar. My hope is that the cager will see me before he/she rolls over me.
​​​​​​👍 It was quite a simple mod. There is no need to buy the special wire harness from HD or Kuryakyn to get full control of your passing lights.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Aitch
Tourer
Received 308 Likes on 144 Posts

We've had sustained 20-25 mph winds overnight into today, gusting to 45mph. Just saw a bagger on the interstate ahead of me a bit. I was in a four-door sedan and getting tossed around like a spinner in a Bang Bros video. Can only imagine how much it sucked to be that rider.

Last edited by Aitch; 02-24-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Odd986
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I still have the stock air box, so due to the state of the Canadian dollar I thought I've give it a go at making my own external breather system. DK Custom sells kits and when I go to a different air cleaner I'll need to get one of their set ups.

3' of 7/32 vac/washer rubber tubing, 1 k&n 62-1600bl air filter, 1 "T" fitting and 1 3/8-1/4 barbed union.
$28.67 after taxes

I liked the idea of having the hose coming out the top versus the bottom. The hose runs along the back bone to just infront of the battery. I have DK's 2" deluxe tank lift which gave me enough clearance for the hose. There is a grove under the rear tank mount on both sides the right side is in use but I had room on the left side. There might be enough room without the tank lift not sure.

I used two short pieces of the 7/32 hose filled with silicon to fill the holes in the back of the filter.

Air filter reinstalled.

Picture of filter location.

Now to wait for warmer days to see how it works.

The following users liked this post:
Zedbra (02-24-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?